The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Put your intitials (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
If you are doing a pre-ink-pen period and you do a trick that involves having the audience member sign or initial something, what writing instrument do you use?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If you are looking for a lookalike, just stick the innards of a pen into a feather. If you want to, put it into a dry inkwell.

If you want to be authentic, how much of your historic audience would be able to sign their names in the first place?

Just a couple of random thoughts.

Patrick
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Thanks. I guess I would tell them to make a mark.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Another option is pencils. Yes, they had pencils in the period that currently interests me - California gold rush. Would work for some tricks. Found an old Civil War forum post. Those guys are very serious about historical accuracy.
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-pencils.21165/
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Ask them to prick their finger and leave their mark.....
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
If you are doing pre-1600, you might try a stylus.

Here is a definition: "an ancient writing implement, consisting of a small rod with a pointed end for scratching letters on wax-covered tablets, and a blunt end for obliterating them."

Good for ancient Greece, Rome, medieval, etc. They were often made from various animal products, ie. horn, bone, ivory, etc.

HLT
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Also you could go with a piece of graphite (ie. what pencil lead is made from).

You can get graphite at an art store for a fairly low price. IIRC I got 12 sticks for about $4.00, but I might be mistaken--it's been a couple of years.

Hope this helps.

HLT
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
More on the history of pencils.
https://www.officemuseum.com/pencil_history.htm
Reproductions are easily found at many Civil War sutlers
Bob
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2017, friend2cptsolo wrote:
Ask them to prick their finger and leave their mark.....

Might be dangerous pre-antibiotics... or tetanus shot. Or now... depending.

How about charcoal, mud, chalk, plant matter & other natural dye stuff?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink

FWIW, varying forms of "ink pens" seem to go way back. Smile

The mechanical pencil, also referenced in previous posts here, is also rather interesting. Until recently I had forgotten that Anne of Green Gables (Edwardian) used one (I'll double check that). Smile

https://bleistift.blog/2013/08/origins-o......-pencil/
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Sorry, I might be a little off on a tangent here, with Edwardian references. I can't find direct evidence (though the second photo below might be a hit) and it's been a long time since I've seen either Anne of Green Gables or the sequel, but of course a mechanical pencil would have been period appropriate for her, regardless.

I just have an image in my mind of her maybe taking one from a pocket when she was writing later exams.
And it just seems a more recent sort of contraption- I think many might be surprised to find out its origins and see one in a period film.

I find antiques very interesting and those from the 19th and early 20th century are so close to our own eras that they're really just a step away, so to speak. And since my father would be nearing 100 years, I've somehow become even more intrigued, I think, by such items since he passed in 2016.

I did find a couple of images of Anne with a pencil, at least. Smile