The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Magic with just a wand! (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Greetings, friends.

I'm just curious as to how many tricks exist that are based solely around an ungimmicked magic wand. While I do realize that a magic wands main purpose is misdirection and concealment, I also like the idea of having a few simple tricks with the wand itself.
Examples I can think of: Wand from coin purse, the "Rising Blade"(often done with a wand) and "To pass a ring from a hankerchief on to a wand held at each end" from Edwin Sachs "Sleight Of Hand", and the ever popular "disappearing pencil" (can be done with a wand).

Thanks for your assistance in advance!

-Nate
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Flip Stick routine, Paul Gertner does a great one wand routine with patter, to open his lecture, when I seen him years ago. He has never published it to my knowledge.

Shoot Ogawa has a very nice vanish and production with a wand and silk routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Shoot Ogawa has a DVD on wand magic.
Jimmy Talksalot uses a wand in a lot of his magic.

FL!d does as well, obviously.

Gazzo.

Watch street performers. Many of them gather wand bits.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1878 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
You could probably do many of the things you do with a sharpie with a wand. Twirls, appearances, disappearances, and all sorts of gags - pull it out of your nose, replace it with a rolled up tube of paper that looks the same at first, etc.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1753 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Push it through a handkerchief - surprisingly effective. A reasonably light wand could be used with a "Dual Control" (aka Mesmer) gimmick.

Barry
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The late Seymour Davis (Oklahoma City) published, years ago, a neat penetration of a wand through a handkerchief or silk. It's a borrowed handkerchief, "...one that is still folded..." as Harry Blackstone would say, and, any wand or pencil.

I've used it for years, in a copper/silver coin penetration, and the Expansion of Texture, to "explain" how the coin passes through the handkerchief

If you check Volume V, p 108, of that old, outdated, archaic, "book" written by a naturapath, whose mother named him HARLAN and, whose father bequeathed him the name of Tarbell, you will find my old friend, Seymour's clever trick.

When I do it, I do a "false explanation", that the handkerchief has an invisible trap door".

Of course, you wont want to USE Seymour's bit, because, as many magicians will tell you, "That's old stuff!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
See also, if you can find one, Gene Anderson's presentation of the wand from coin purse, from his most recent set of Lecture notes. ("Tricks for the Part Time Pro." is the title, I THINK.--My copy is currently on loan to a young man in the far northwestern corner of Montana.
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Yup, that is the title Dick! Don't ask me how I would know that... Smile

Quote:
On May 1, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
--My copy is currently on loan to a young man in the far northwestern corner of Montana.

My! Montana! That sounds rather rugged! There are more people than trees, I hear... Smile
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1753 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
The late Seymour Davis (Oklahoma City) published, years ago, a neat penetration of a wand through a handkerchief or silk. It's a borrowed handkerchief, "...one that is still folded..." as Harry Blackstone would say, and, any wand or pencil.

Yes, that's the one I use. It's in lots of beginners' books - uncredited. Even the usually reliable Karl Fulves doesn't give a credit in SW Handkerchief Magic.

Barry
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right! I like Karl Fullves's books, but, wish he had taken time to credit Seymour et al. I miss Seymour! We used to get into friendly "arguments" about "big" props!

Along with magic, I seem to remember that he did a comedy music act with a piano.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 2, 2016, ColtonRaelund wrote:
Yup, that is the title Dick! Don't ask me how I would know that... Smile

Quote:
--My copy is currently on loan to a young man in the far northwestern corner of Montana.

My! Montana! That sounds rather rugged! There are more people than trees, I hear... Smile

Yes! --and a "few" horses, too! (Are you sure that that's not more trees than people?) I vividly remember a 30 mile jump from Broadview to Rapelje. on a "two track" road. I felt somewhat like Fleischman's "Mr. Mysterious & Co".! I really appreciated Lewis & Clark, after that!

I KNOW that there are "few" magicians in "big hat country, too! I remember lecturing in Billings a few years ago. National Assemblies booked me up there numerous times. I remember watching Eddie McLaughlin "kill" some magicians at an informal magicians' meeting in Great Falls! Miles White had invited me, and, Eddie did a phenomenal presentation with Si Stebbins as his "assistant"! Gene Anderson "shoulda" been there.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hee Hee! GALAATA, MONTANA about 20 years ago, BROKE THE RECORD for small schools! I've worked high schools in Metropolitan areas with 1800 and 2,000 kids, and, small midwestern towns with 25 to 50 kids in the school. A village in a North Dakota school had 48 kids (K thru `12! (here comes the "but"::: But, Galata had a couple houses, a grain elevator, a "town hall", and a two room school.

A teacher, two mothers who were visiting, and seven kids "filled the house". They had planned to go across the street to the town hall for the program, It was early spring, and cold. I did the program in a class room! Ahh! show biz!
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Whoops! My bad. That IS more trees than people!
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
I was looking for something like this a while back when I was thinking about giving away magic wands at my kid shows and wanted to put together a few tricks they could do with just a wand, nothing else. The "rubber pencil" illusion where you flop it back and forth between two fingers making it look like it turns to rubber is very effective for kids. I also like "rising wand" tricks, either the Silver Sceptre, or even a cheap plastic rising wand, produces great reactions from people, especially kids.

This downloadable video offered by Penguin Magic done by Dan Harlan looks like it might provide some options with 4 hours of wand magic tricks:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5142
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Stephen Wilbury
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Stephen Wilbury
Have you every looked into baton illusions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVELgJ5VA_4 Ignore the terrible techno music the effect is pretty neat
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Over the years, I developed a comedy routine with WAND (S). An "ordinary" (!!!) wand, a brakawa wand, a .22caliber shooting wand, and to finish the routine, a brakawa fan. Depending on the audience response, the routine runs between 5 and 6 minutes, and the set up time is about 10 seconds (reloading the .22cal. wand)

The fan climaxes the routine, and gets 4 to 5 laughs, plus applause. On two occasions in senior high schools the fan got a STANDING OVATION.

I wrote up the entire routine in my book. The only part that really FOOLS 'EM is the FAN! The wand get lots of big laughs. (Wands and fan add up to 5 to 6 minutes of ENTERTAINMENT!)