The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Taking a Marker Apart (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Can anyone tell me how to take apart a Marks-a-lot (Marksalot) marker and/or a Sharpie King marker? Thanks in advance!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Forgive this less than helpful answer, but what do you want to do with it? You answer will control whether you open at the end or middle.

If you want people to think it is still a marker, open in the middle and leave some ink and the tip. You can still write with it and convince people it is just a marker.

If you are doing something else, then there are other ways.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thanks for asking. I'm going to put in another ink color.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Use an exacta knife to score around the area near the middle. With a sharpie you can use the place where the cap meets the body of the marker when it is on. Don't try to cut deep. Score gently but firmly until the marker parts in half cleanly. Wear gloves and be over several layers of newspaper, this is a messy job. Pull out the guts and replace with whatever you are putting in. Use a strong superglue to put the marker back together. Pay very close attention to detail on this step. If the glue is not well bonded ALL around the marker, later it may leak on you.

With all that said, might it be simpler to buy the marker you want and stick a different label on it? It sounds like you are making a mis-labeled marker. Changing the label is much less work and far easier.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thank you, Cliff. I don't want to expose what I'm using for on an open forum, but yes, I'm swapping colors. A label may not look genuine, but I like your description of how to cut it apart.

Does anyone know of a way to take it apart without having to cut and glue? I'm trying to find a way to pull the back part of the Marks-a-lot away from the barrel, but having a hard time. Thanks!
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
I'd have thought that just swapping the coloured cap of a Sharpie is the easiest way to go!