The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: Introducing the dummy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I am about to use my figure in a childrens birthday party, along with my magic, but I have a slight problem.

I can't figure out how to bring him on gracefully.

Let me explain: If I set up my show, then have him ready to go in his trunk, when I pull him out of the truink, their is a time of adjustment that I can't let the kids see, because when I pull him out after he is laying flat, his neck giraffes, his glasses are all crooked, his cap has fallen off his head, etc. In other words, immediately after pulling him out of the trunk, he is not presentable.

I don't want the kids to see him in that condition.

If I take him out of the trunk in the car before I come in the house, then let him sit while I set up the show, then all the kids see him "dead". That too is not good.

I could leave him in the car, then after I set up my show and I am introduced I could go out to the car and get him, but that kind of looks dumb.

I don't want to drag along a backdrop to set up the show behind, because that is too much work for a birthday party.

Then, if I do figure out how to bring him on, then their is the question of how to exit him after the skit is finished.

I feel like a real "dummy" for asking this, but I am really stumped on the best, most professional way to do this.

Any ideas from those who have been through it? Any ideas from those who have not been through it, but still have an idea?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Here's a thought off the top of my head... while you're setting up the show,seat him on your trunk (back away from the audience) and cover him with a towel or sheet. During the show, the kids will wonder what the strange form is on the trunk, but pretend not to pay any attention to it.

When the time comes for the vent routine, use a (slightly) muffled voice as your figure attempts to get your attention. Finally, you realize where it's coming from, and unveil your buddy so you can go into your act.

Just a thought.

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
That's a good idea Joe...

Here's another...

Make an excuse for why he is in the trunk...

Pull him out all disheveled and make a short routine around it. During this routine you can spiff him up.
Then go into your normal material.

At the end you can make a big deal about putting him back in the case... and about how he is going to mess himself up again...

Maybe his case is a sandbox he is playing in or something? I don't know your figure or his personality so that actual routine is difficult to conceptualize.

Another idea is in the car/or inside before the show if no one is around take him out and fix him all up. Then lay him back in the trunk nicely with his back facing up and his legs underneath him. Bring the case inside (if not already) and close the lid gently.

Then when it's time to get him out, quickly open the lid and stick your hand in and go!
He should be in pretty good shape...
Jimmy Vee
Ventriloquist, Mentalist, Hyper active!
Orlando, FL
georgewkaye
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of georgewkaye
I used to carry my figure with the head seperate from the body. I would open the trunk (lid covering the action) and say, "Look at the state of you. The ladies and gents can't look at you in that state!" Danny would shout, "oi leave me alone! - don't do that - ouch!" etc. Then Danny would make his appearance. No problem! Do what feels good.
George.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I have similar problems with mine. I like Jimmy's idea on taking it out and making a routine of his clothes being messed up. A routine I sometimes do is knock on the trunk to see if the puppet is ready to come out. When I open the trunk I pretend that the puppet is not dressed and tell it to get dressed. This gives me a few seconds to keep my hands in the trunk and fix the problem. I use the soft type puppets. Before taking it out, I almost always have to put the hat or glasses back on the puppet even when using velcro. It seems that carrying it around will knock the velcro loose.
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
378 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
If you have one of those magic roll on tables, you can resolve the problem in a different way. The table folds for easy carrying and storage and the whole back of the table is storage space with removable shelves. As you are setting up your show, you can open up your puppet's suitcase behind the table, take the puppet out and place it into the table storage space. While you're still behind the table, you can straighten out your figure's appearance. Then, when your partner is ready to make his appearance, simply bring him out from behind the table and you're all set to go. To pack up, simply reverse the procedure.
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
First let me preface this by saying it's a stab in the dark (I don't have a friend in a box).

When I need time misdirection with kids I like to use costumes- While one kid is getting ready in the cowboy outfit- I have time to reset props.

Hope I'm not to far out of line...
=phil
drink water...
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Who you calling a dummy? Let me out of this box!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
While were on the subject of dummies n vents can anybody give me a idea for a vent script or any boks with good material in, I don't use a proper vent I use a sunny puppet its made out of material and it hasnt got ant things to set up with.
Regarding the dummy coming out all messed up could you get a case with foam and cut the shape of the dumy out and sandwich him between I don't know its just an idea out the top of my head,
Matt.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Matt, Chris Manos has a book on material he uses for anti-drug and alcohol shows with puppets. I do not recall his website at the moment, but I have him listed on my Links Page on my website, http://www.policemagic.com if you want to go there and look it up.

I use two puppets for magic and two for crime and drug prevention presentations. I have two puppets for adults and older kids and two for children.

Glenn