The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring and string cord (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Anybody know where I can buy velvet cord for use in ring and string routines? My cord is getting pretty nasty from practice and no craft stores nearby have the velvet cord similar to the type that came with Gregory Wilson's tape.

Also, what are some sources for learning larger ring routines using the same type of cord and say a 5" ring? I saw a magician do it and now I'm interested.

Thanks.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Yeh definitely, great scott's routine will be of intereset to you. Do a search on his ring and rope routine and you will get all the info you need.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Check out Aldo Colombini's Lasting Impressions videos, Eric DeCamps video, and Eldridge's ring video which use the larger ring and rope. All have excellent ideas.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Bradley contact me for info on Ring and Rope.

Vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Bradley,Go to a frabric store. That is where I bought my cord. I don't know if Joann Fabrics is in California but you must have some fabric stores.oblique
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
Aldo Colombini's Still Ringing is a great 9 phase on/off routine.

See his website at http://www.mamamiamagic.com
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Bob Millers Relentless Ring and String video is also one of the best shoelace and ring routine, very magical and plays great in restruants or walk around...

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Hi there...

I noticed you're in the So. Calif area. You can buy the perfect velvet rope at a Jo-Ann's fabric stores.... about $1.50 a yard. SKU# 4599031 3/16" VLTUBNG5012. ( I happen to have a receipt) They have stores all over So. Calif.

To locate a store near you... go to this site:

http://www.joann.com/about_joann/about_joann_stores.jhtml

The burgendy velvet rope at Jo-Ann's Fabric store is the same what's indluded in a popular ring & rope routine that's currently on the market.

Buy extra. look at it carefully. You'll find every few feet there are splices where they sew shorter lenghts together, so you want to be sure to get a continuous piece without a splice... some people may notice it when examining the rope... no need to have that.

You'll also notice It's hollow with a string in the middle. Remove the string for better flexibility. you can curl in the ends to hide the frays.

I like the velvet rope as opposed to using a shoe lace, but some of my friends like using shoe string becuase it's a more common item that people can idenify with as un-gaffed. Gregory Wilson talks about this in his Ring Leader Video. The velvet rope is a little classier I think. It has a nicer feel.

Have fun!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Thanks!

I figure I'll head to the Santa Monica Jo-ann's and look for some.

Yeah I like the velvet cord, but it doesn't last forever...especially with carrying it in my pocket and practicing so much.

One more question...which do you guys prefer?

Aldo Colombini - Ringing Around Too

or

Aldo Colombini - Still Ringing

I understand the routines are different since one involves knot penetrations, etc. Would you recommend both?
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
DanLewis
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of DanLewis
Aldo's Still Ringing...
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
I personally wouldn't recommend both. I liked Ringing Around Too MUCH better than Still Ringing.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
I ended up getting both several weeks ago.

I like Ringing Around Too better, but I like several moves in Still Ringing. Everything helps and gives me ideas so I'm happy.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-04-08 20:47, BradleyNott wrote:
I ended up getting both several weeks ago.

I like Ringing Around Too better, but I like several moves in Still Ringing. Everything helps and gives me ideas so I'm happy.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Bradley (and others),

Are the routines in "Still Ringing" and "Ringing Around Too" mutually exclusive routines, or, can you "mix and match" portions of each routine and come out with "your own"?

Thanks for any info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
You can mix and match. In fact that's what I've been playing around with. It's pretty fun.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
It's best to mix and match from all different sources. If you don't like one segment, don't just miss it out. Try and recreate it with another method. If that fails, then you can miss it out.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-03-10 19:15, thumbslinger wrote:
Aldo Colombini's Still Ringing is a great 9 phase on/off routine.

See his website at http://www.mamamiamagic.com

What happened to the site? All I get is some japanese thing!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
Try mammamiamagic.com Two m's in mamma.