The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Going for the 'Gold' :: Ohio Magi-Fest? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Donnie
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Donnie
I am not sure if there is some national committee that certifies competitions and gives them validity, but there should be. A lot of competitions I've been in were poorly run and had a down home kind of feel. I competed at the Ohio magi-fest (before you read any further I wanna let you know this my opinion and is not totally objective because of my personal involvement) I think many people that ran the competition were incompetent. There were people actually judging their own relatives. Not only that but the person that was awarded 3rd place actually didn’t place at all they mis-added the scores and had to strip him of the award. I was verbally abused by a judge for requesting a certain table, I didn’t pay to have some guy in a red jacket tell me that my expectations were out of line. Now I didn’t place but I wasn’t last, I performed well and I think I was the audience favorite but the judges didn’t see it that way. Sure that makes me bitter, but I am doing some serious factual research on this and if you’ve had any negative experiences or positive ones at the ohio magi-fest you can reach me on aol instant messenger my name is IM Donnie Bravo, and you can e-mail me at donistheshow@yahoo.com. Thank you
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Donnie, let me try to help....
The only people that give validity to the contest are the people who attend and compete.

If we had a governing organization controlling all of the magic contest in the world, I am sure it would limit the number of contest.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in providing a properly ran contest. I will agree that not all contest appear to be fair. But this is the job of the contestant to decide which contest they wish to be apart of.

The big question is why are they competing. In others words, what do you really want out of the contest experience? This is a discussion by itself.

I have been a judge for the stage contest for the IBM convention. I have great confidence in their judging system. In your research, you may agree.

The people choice may not be the same as the judges. That is why we have a "People's Choice" award. The two are working from a different set of standards. This way those performers that appeal to the audience do get recognized. The judges work from a score sheet with a specific point system.

I hope this helps. I would be glad to discuss this futher.

Steve Hart

Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
jamieohara
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jamieohara
Thank You Steve!

Here is some info for the Gossip That is started regarding this years IBM Gold Medal Stage contest.

First the IBM competition is in no way rigged or influenced by what you referred to as politics (Exactly what policy can the IBM adopt that would benefit who?).

Second,it may not be understand that the acts are judged from beginning to end on ten criteria. While the second place winner is clearly a fantastic magician and performer the opening of his act did not merit high points from this years panel of judges. Like wise the second to last act has a great idea but he flashed all over the place for your information he was ranked 3rd. Additionally upon deliberation the judges maintained that the first place winner had a more complete and magical act, that was clean and included difficult and original magic. Also the second place winner had a special effect that was great in prelims but in finals it was a wash and unfortunately was the hinge upon which his act turned.

Third, there is no Gold if the judges don't agree and there were 4 of the six who immediately saw gold. The two biggest advocates were professionals one of whom won the FISM Grand prix, The IBM Gold Cups The SAM Gold in Close-up and numerous other awards. The advocates are given an opportunity to persuade the others. If this turns into an arm twisting persuasion then it is clear that there is no Gold. If as happened on Friday the dissenter gets more excited than the advocate then a vote is taken. I TRIPLE check that the judges are in agreement.

All contestants receive copies of their score sheets and can see the areas that were marked high or low and have an opportunity to visit with the judges to discuss their scores. The judging score sheet is available to any member of the IBM and sice it's update 4 years ago has been adopted by magic contests across the globe as an excellent tool in scoring a magic act

Art can create controversy and it probably should, I am glad that there are differing opinions about the results of the contest. I am offended that anyone would suggest that there is some kind of corruption in the judging process and would request that no self respecting magicins involve themselves in such gossip.

A final note I have spoken with both of these contestants, both of them were gracious, humble and professional. Neither one of them would even begin to think that there were some ulterior motives influencing the contest.

Jamie O'Hara
Head Judge IBM convention committee
Remember The Magic Is In You!

Jamie O'Hara The Magic Guy