The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Announcements (Please Read) :: Server Problem (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know what happened. Long story short, the server's operating system crashed and would not reboot, nor could it be repaired. I would like to add that this was not due to any hacking attempt, attack, or anything like that. It was simply a computer problem which we all know happens from time to time.

The good news is that no data was lost, only the OS itself was affected. However, in the event live data was lost, we had a backup only two days old that would be been used for restoration so any data loss would have been limited.

To fix the problem meant we had to copy all the live site data to a slave drive (luckily we already had the backup drive mounted which had room for all the data), install a new drive, then reinstall the OS and all the other server software before restoring the sites. As you can imagine, the server has a lot of data on it so that took a while, and remember that the time was doubled because the data has to fist be copied to another drive then copied back to the new drive once the OS and software was installed, optimized, and secured.

We still have a number of minor issues to be worked out, but I don't believe any of those will affect things here. You should be back to where you were before this ordeal started.

As for me, I've lost a lot of sleep not to mention a few dollars out of my pocket because of the problem, but I'm happy to report the Café is back and fully functional.

Of course, if you do notice any problems please feel free to contact me directly at gene at swipesy dot com. That is also my PayPal address if you feel like throwing a dollar toward the cause. What can I say, I'm not proud, and my pocket got killed these last few days.

I'll be happy to see my pillow for a serious meeting tonight, that's for sure!

I apologize for the trouble, and thanks for your patience!

Gene Brott
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
You da man Gene! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks