The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Looking for an elegant bottom control (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Not very elegant but very deceptive I think Vision Card Control by Alex Loschilov: http://www.theory11.com/wire/alex-loschi......control/

Best
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, bignickolson wrote:
The control in Buckley's Book is the Hindu Shift I believe and it's a great control for a multiple selection routine.

You are correct, bignickolson.

Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, jim ferguson wrote:

It makes no sense to use a sleight to control the card to the top, then have to do another one to move it to the bottom - when it can be moved straight to the bottom using a single, totally invisible move in the first place.

Jim

Agreed.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
The OP wanted a "flourishy" bottom control. The bottom card of the deck is to remain the same and the selected card is to be on top of the bottom card as an end result. By getting the card to the top of the deck and then controlling it to the correct position via. Dbl. or triple undercuts or whatever, does what neoiwondeland wanted. Not economical but"Flourishy" NOT a single invisible move.
If I understand him correctly.

Sure, economy of motion is ideal but not what he asked for. (I think)
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
The Slider card control... (similiar to a spread cull, but very easy and simple)...
you would just use the Bottom card as your guide card and it would work exactly as you want it to.
You could even have them take the card, and then you would "show it one last time" to do the move "when you lose it in the deck", and really control it to the bottom with the bottom card above it.

Hope this helps, (whenever I need to control a card to the bottom I use this control),
Ryan Lockwood
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1453 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Magicians helping magicians.*

*Except when they wilfully ignore the basic requests of the OP.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
If you could provide some context, it would help. What do you want it to look like? Is a card being selected and returned from a spread? There are ways to control cards contextually that depend on what is supposed to APPEAR to be happening. It's hard to advise without knowing the context.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The Horizon Move is an elegant variation on the Kelly Bottom Placement. It's in Genii '96 or '97, with Ascanio on the cover. Or PM me and I might be able to explain it.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Convincing control is all you need for bottom control. Super clean and simple.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Ackerman Varies Kelly is another option.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2016, obrienmagic wrote:
Convincing control is all you need for bottom control. Super clean and simple.

Or the late Ernest Earick's Convincing Convincer. Marlo's Convincing Control done with one hand (the first part at least).
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
This is an old thread, but I liked the sound of what Ryan Lockwood described as the "Slider control." Can anyone provide me with a reference of this move? I looked up "slider" on conjuringarchive.com , but I don't own any of the books that sounded like they *might* include the ove that Lockwood described.

Thanks,

Bob
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1024 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I'm not quite sure why he calls it that, but the basic idea is that you perform a reverse cull with the bottom card. Basically you use your fingers to loosen the (bottom)card as you would for a bottom deal and let that card ride underneath the spread. So whatever card they touch will easily be culled under that card. When you collapse the spread the two ride together to the bottom of the deck.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I think it's worth clarifying that the OP wanted to retain the original bottom card as second from bottom, after the selection had been controlled to the bottom. This is why RLockwood - in this context - said the Guide card [aka Slider card] would be the bottom card. This would, I believe, be a rather untypical use of the Slider principle.

The idea, as I understand it, is very simple. If you cull several cards, the first one requires a specific technique; subsequent card(s) are easier to cull because they slide smoothly over the surface of the card(s) already culled. Therefore, if culling a single target card, you might choose to first cull an indifferent card to act as a Slider when you cull the target card.

This idea is mentioned in The Cullfather by Iain Moran, and RoadRunner Cull by Kostya Kimlat; and no doubt other sources. I have never heard it called a Slider "Control" before, just a Slider Card, but that must be what is being referred to by RLockwood.

I expect most people would cull the Slider card from near the top of the deck, because that is quite straightforward. In the context above, this would mean that you end up with an indifferent card (the Slider) between the original bottom card, and the culled selection. This is not what the OP wanted. Hence the bottom card would need to be "reverse culled" (ie dislodged from the bottom) as described by Ed to act as Slider card, and subsequently get returned to the bottom with the selection (and no extra indifferent card between them). The problem with this is that - in my experience - it's quite tricky to reverse-cull that bottom card. (Probably due to my dry hands). So I wouldn't use this particular variation. I do however like to use a Slider card culled in the normal way from nearer the top of the deck. It's a great technique.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Ed and Niko. Yet another reason to learn to cull...!
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
712 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Amazon has a book for $6.99 called "Martin Gardner's Table Magic" that (I believe) also explains Buckley's Hindu Shift; I think Mr. Gardner calls it a Reverse Hindu control. This is a pretty easy move, and it fulfills the OP's requirements. I was not too crazy about the rest of Gardner's book (the remaining non-card effects are basically bar bets), but the card section was pretty good, and was beginner-to-intermediate level.