The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Thumb tie finale (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Whenever I've seen the thumb tie done, the finale has always been the same. 2 volunteers have their thumbs tied together. Does anyone an alternate finish?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The ending you speak of takes the escape and ends it with an invitation more for laughs than applause. It certainly works, but that is the ending for a comedy routine. Perhaps the in-and-out aspect of the thumb tie better lends itself to the comedy play, but if you use it in conjunction with something else, or in a set up that is not in-and-out comedy, you could end it simply by escaping.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
The ending you speak of takes the escape and ends it with an invitation more for laughs than applause. It certainly works, but that is the ending for a comedy routine. Perhaps the in-and-out aspect of the thumb tie better lends itself to the comedy play, but if you use it in conjunction with something else, or in a set up that is not in-and-out comedy, you could end it simply by escaping.

I'm using it as a comedy routine, and have used the ending for many years, (also 'steal' a watch, which I return after the volunteers are seated). I thought that there might be a different comedy ending that I might want to look into.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Mark Cannon used to turn his thumb cuffs in to a set of Bean Giants as the finale to an in/out routine.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Roslyn ... What are bean Giants? They're probably called something else here.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Bean giants are bean giants. You don't need them for what you're doing.

Sometimes the routine, with thimbcuffs is to start with them behind you and finish with them in front
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If you turn it into something else, it's a magic trick, not an escape.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
For a while, I used thumbcuffs as the in and out component on a variation of Anthony Linden's Amazing Suit Jacket Escape. I eventually abandoned the routine, however, as intentional comedy doesn't work very well for me.

Bean Giants are rigid handcuffs for the wrists made by the Bean company.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, jakeg wrote:
Whenever I've seen the thumb tie done, the finale has always been the same. 2 volunteers have their thumbs tied together. Does anyone an alternate finish?

Hi Jack!

Technically, a THUMB >>TIE<< is a PENETRATION, not an Escape (comedy "in and out") or just a "straight" escape.

I'm definitely not an EA! I did a short tour (in '95) of school assemblies when Dick Xavier, abruptly canceled his tour. I had booked him (for NATIONAL SCHOOL ASSEMBLIES) and, I would have lost all those commissions, if I hadn't substituted for Xavier.

I, basically did a "demonstration" of what Houdini was noted for. I used a couple of handcuff escapes and a strait jacket.
One of the handcuff demo's was escaping from three sets of cuffs. I used Hamburg 8 "jumpers", modern "swing thru" Smith & Wesson (jumpers) cuff, and, a set of modern swing thru thumb cuffs. --It got a much better reception than it deserved!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I'm not an EA as well. For years I did a thumb cuff routine, which was okay, but not great. My ending was take the guys watch off his wrist, and cuff th 2 volunteers together. I made a stooge out of the guy. After some talk, and applause for the 2 helpers, I would offer the guy his watch back. Goya laugh, but still looking for a sock ending so the audience is at a high point when the routine is over. When you tie them together, youstillhave to release them, which is like continuing a joke after the punch line is told. Sort of like a glass of flat soda.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Jack~!
I remember Blackstone (pere) doing his wrist tie in the old Davidson theater in Milwaukee in the late '40s. I had seen him do it several times, and the final time (the last season before the show closed in April, 1950)I was one of the "committee", and stood just to Harry's right. He used the watch steal that you just mentioned, and, I LEARNED A GOOD LESSON IN SHOWMANSHIP! When, years later, I DID a pick pocket act, I used the same steal technique. It was most effective!

The late Bob Brown (Chicago)had an idea for a finish to the thumb cuff "in and out" routine. I'll dig it up, and, mail it. It might not fit your needs, but, it may "stimulate" your thinking.

I agree on the "let down" when you must release the two assistants' thumbs. The late George McAthy sold a "bit" that he called "Mac's Pet Business" for FIFTY CENTS (!) in the '40s. It MIGHT be something that would work for you. I'll check on what I have on that.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Any fresh ideas on that one ?

been thinking to produce something instead of the thumbtie at the end (under the jacket) like a full glass