The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Kenner's Missing Link (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Well, I finally got all the moves down to Chris Kenner's phenomenal missing link. I have always performed crazy man's handcuffs and have wanted to link the bands at some point. It just looks so good.
For those of you who perform the Missing Link, do you have any ideas for misdirection, or a reason for the 2 seconds of prep to get into it. Just looking fo more and better ways

Thank you
Cabrera
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Cabrera,

To answer your question, there is no better way. You have the moves down but not the routine. It is not 2 seconds but "1.5 seconds" as quoted from the book.

I saw this in person in Indianapolis at a SAM convention when Chris Kenner performed. It was truly entertaining magic. I was not aware of a set up because he patters during this time.

True, he used 'blue' patter in regards to the red rubber (band). Get the idea. Yes, much of his magic is possible because of his carisma and personality. How do you put that in a book.

The only thing I can suggest is to re-read the book and really take in every word. Then practice practice practice. Then start doing it for everyone you met. Patter will develope.

Please do not try to "IMPROVE" this until you have put the proper effort into the original. I do not think it needs improvement.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Yes missing link is awesome,,,,,but I found the get ready a problem,,,,,you can accomplish the same effect doing jeff pierce's "the joining",,,and the get ready is way easier I feel,,,,,AND with the joining you can also do it with a rubberband and a ring which looks incredible,,,,and at the end of the routine the volunteer pulls the ring (or red rubberband) off the band THEMSELVES,,,,this kills.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
As soon as I got the set up down to a science (very quickly) I was able to start getting a lot of great reactions with this wonderful routine.

Talking (making eye contact) helps a great deal--you should be able to set up without looking at the bands before you use this routine on a "real" audience.

Also, slightly using the right hand to cover a little of the dirty work helps.

This is one of the real workers of close up, especially if you carry two size 19's for CMHC's anyways. By the way, using two bands of the same size and same color (as Michael Weber does) isn't a problem AS LONG AS THE BANDS are pre-stretched. This prevents the doubled band appearing too thick.
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
I've been using the Alliance Gold Crepe Band. Great rubber bands for CMH and this trick. I can do the link set up without looking and will probably have to modify my current CMH presentation. I'm sure that with the right joke (one that keeps them laughing for 1.5 seconds) I'll be able to do it. Thanks for the advice guys!
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
2 seconds? 1.5 seconds? When you can do it like this guy (Doug Conn), you've mastered it.......Watch:

http://www.sleightgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1994
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
Any tips on which bands to use as when the one is doubled up it can be seen even though I am pulling hard?
La magie, c'est ma vie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Eddy,

If you can see it that does not mean the spectator sees it. Then again you may be using the wrong band. Are you using the number 19 size super pure band as mentioned in the book?
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
THE way to go is the japanese rubber bands. These come in different colors and are really perfect for Missing link, as well as CMH.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Take Dan's word on this. He showed me his rubber band routine in Holland, and it was beautiful. The bands were slightly translucent, so it was difficult to tell what side they were on. True melting image in CMH. You could not tell the band was doubled in Missing Link.
I bought about 50 packages from the dealer. Here is the info:

UGM
tel: 0568-85-3750 fax: 0568-85-3571
E-mail: magic@ugm.co.jp
http://www.ugm.co.jp

They are called "O" bands

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
How do you order the bands as the site is in chinese?
La magie, c'est ma vie
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Learn Chinese!
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Dude,
The site is in Japanese, not Chinese. Anyway, I listed their e-mail address above. Just drop them a note asking about the "O" bands. You won't regret it.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
Jason Bay
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
117 Posts

Profile of Jason Bay
Quote:
On 2004-03-07 19:24, MacGyver wrote:
Learn Chinese!

Or, you could click the "English" button in the lower left of the front page. Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
You can find Missing Link in this DVD by Dan Harlan:
http://www.a1magicalmedia.com/prod_templ......ctid=146
p.aulo.r
View Profile
New user
Portugal
37 Posts

Profile of p.aulo.r
Missing Link is an excellent effect and aldo the set up takes some practise to master, after that you could do it in only one second.
The weakest point in my opinion is the unlinking moment. A fantastic visual link deserves an equal unlinking moment.
Anyone has ideas on how to perfect this?
"The Joinning" finale is one possible way,any others?
Thanks