The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Favorite Matrix? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10963 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Wow! Thanks for posting, Vinny.

Bob
SebastienSmithMagic
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of SebastienSmithMagic
Can’t find any..

Quote:
On Mar 27, 2021, dave_matkin wrote:
Anyone seen or have a report on the Matrix Kit By Tony Clark?
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I'm trying to ask a question about a matrix technique without revealing any secrets. Moderators, feel free to delete this if I'm not successful.

Harry Lorayne published a "reverse assembly" by Ed Marlo (Apocalypse v. 1 no. 11 Jan 1988), in which four coins are covered by one card, then the other three cards are laid out to form the usual square, and when the cards are removed the coins have more or less instantly traveled to the four corners. (Much like the ends of Mike Rubenstein and Ed Oschmann's routines in the videos above, except that the audience actually sees all four coins at one corner before they're covered and dispersed.) I'm looking for a coin *assembly* (as opposed to reverse assembly) that uses the same technique that Marlo used, which basically involves sandwiching some things between other things.

The assembly by Takagi that NicholaD25 mentioned also uses this technique (as described by Richard Kaufman in his book on Takagi's work), but there's some other stuff going on. I'm looking for something pretty straightforward that uses the same technique.

To give you an idea of what I want to accomplish, I want to do a slow coin assembly followed by a quick "disassembly" to the corners, and I want spectators to actually see the four coins together before they part company. I may simply want to learn Al Schneider's Matrix for the first part, and then use Marlo's Reverse assembly. But I thought that I might learn Marlo's "reverse" assembly more easily if I first learned a "forward" assembly that used the same technique that Marlo had used.

Mr. Lorayne mentions in his write-up of Marlo's trick that he had previously published some coin assemblies using that technique, but with only one coin at a time. I don't have the full run of Apocalypse, just a few individual years. Maybe someone who has the full run could tell me which issues are relevant? Or suggest another source?

I'm looking for something ungaffed with exactly four coins and four cards.

Thanks so much for any help people can offer.

Bob
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Puzzling post there Bob.
Apocalypse volume 1 was in 1978 with issue 11 in November.
Volume 2 issue 11 has a Paul Gertner item Reverse Assembly.
The Gertner item uses a gaff and more than four coins.

Where did you find the Marlo Reverse Assembly?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Sorry for the confusion, Jon. The correct reference is Apocalypse v. 11 no. 1 Jan 1988: I exchanged the volume and issue numbers.

Marlo's Simplex Reverse Matrix starts on p. 1445. At the beginning of the piece Lorayne refers to the Gertner version. A bit later he says, "The move that follows is, apparently, a
card cheater's 'check cop.' It has already been applied to a coin matrix routine (years ago - here in Apocalypse), but to steal ('cop') only one coin. What Edward does here is to steal two coins, putting him way 'ahead.'"

In a nutshell, I'm looking for the trick that had appeared earlier ("years ago") in Apocalypse, and which uses the check cop. I'm hoping that the earlier routine is an assembly (not a reverse assembly), and is ungaffed and uses just four coins. Or, perhaps someone has such a routine, also using the check cop, elsewhere.

While I'm clarifying and correcting mistakes: I looked more closely at the Takagi routine, and it *doesn't* use the check cop.

I hope (??!!) I've made it clear now what I'm looking for.
Degio
View Profile
Regular user
It took me years to get to
152 Posts

Profile of Degio
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2022, Bob G wrote:
In a nutshell, I'm looking for the trick that had appeared earlier ("years ago") in Apocalypse, and which uses the check cop.

What you are looking for is (probably) in Apocalypse Vol.8 N.6 page 1074: "The Heat Is On" by Robert Bengel.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Degio, nice to hear from you. I appreciate the time you took to look this up. Now to ebay to see if I can find the relevant volume or issue.

Later: found it, together with another issue that has a Jon Townsend "two-ahead" "matrix." (Thanks, Jon! Smile ) (Matrix in quotes because Al Schneider used the word for his own coin assembly.)

Thanks,

Bob
Thomas Frank
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Virginia
12 Posts

Profile of Thomas Frank
I really like Dean Dill's "No Extras." It's very clever way to do matrix with only 4 coins. You can learn it in Metal 2 by Eric Jones.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I thought Magic Ian's "Matrix Reloaded" and "Triple Transposition Matrix" should be mentioned, but my DVD copy of the 1977 VHS will not play now (damage)????

Does anyone have a copy?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Rannie Raymundo's 4 Coins 4 Cards 1 Hand.

Vinnie has it on his website.
bofx
View Profile
Special user
France
509 Posts

Profile of bofx
Armando Lucero's matrix is real magic!
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Credits : Shoot Ogawa, Al Schneider

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2sXf2kvQ......NWFlZA==
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Very nice. I loved the freshness of the first person view (as the performer) and the way you positioned the card to hide the work.

It reminded me of the "as the performer" 3-fly that I've seen a couple of people do.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
I’m a fan of Homer Liwag’s Flash Rice. It’s quick and to the point. To someone who isn’t a magic familiar, it’s quick and magical. To those who are magically-inclined, it’s a surprise because it’s over before they know it.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
This is my favourite matrix style routine. It would look better in more skilled hands, some of you may know that I switched to Mentalism over 10 years ago as arthritis made coin magic difficult so this is being dusted off after 20 years or so of not doing it. I have already posted this in the gaffed and funky forum as it is both gaffed and funky. Sound quality is not great as there were planes flying over and my daughter was sneezing in the background but it does give a good idea of the effect.

Having read his posts in this thread and now being aware of his feelings, out of respect for Al Schneider I will be renaming this to Progressive Kickback Assembly.

https://youtu.be/NRlV90REg6M?si=yhrmm_U855kDYur7

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I enjoyed that, Mark. You still got it! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Beautiful!

Bob
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL