The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Tony Clark Vs. Bill Malone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Both have new DVD's out teaching the Slydini silks. Which one is better? Tony was an actual student of Slydini.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I would have to say Bill Malone. And he teaches you more than just the Slydini Silks.

Just my 2 cents.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Dbzkid999 what's the 2 cents in American worth, hey? Smile

Have you watched both of them? I thought Tony taught a great deal (going by the Hocus Pocus site).

thk5353
View Profile
Regular user
Northern New Jersey
183 Posts

Profile of thk5353
Only one silk trick is taught on the Bill Malone set, the rest are mostly all card oriented. This 4 DVD set is by far one of the best card magic DVDs I've bought so far. I don't know much about Tony Clark's products, so if you aren't looking for card magic and looking for strictly silk stuff then getting “On the Loose” won't be a good decision, unless you are getting just one DVD.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
BILL Malone! BILL Malone! BILL Malone! Smile

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Bill teaches it on his “On The Loose” series, vol 1. But, L&L has released a DVD with just that segment and the silks to do the effect.

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Bill has a quick working effect, whereas Tony learned from Slydini and may have some different takes. Both are good just a little different. Since I have the Malone DVDs already, I'd probably go with Tony's. I have a tape of Slydini performing the silks and that's a very good routine. Also have a set of real Slydini silks bought when he was closing his studio and selling the silks through Genii.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think the silks that come with the "new" Malone DVD have the newest version of the silks and I hear they are a dream to work with and really improve the routine.

Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I've seen Tony do the silks in person. He does a wonderful job.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Just to add to the information necessary to make an informed buying decision, besides the DVD featuring Bill performing and teaching his handling of the Slydini Silks, the booklet contains a photo-illustrated manuscript written by Lewis Ganson with Slydini's original routine, in addition to several other variations and ideas. This comes straight from the "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" book.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The scale were just tipped in favor of the Malone project.

Anyone that doesn't know Jim, get the Stevens Restaurant Magic video with Jim, Bill, Dan Fleshman and Mike Close.

Jim, it's great to see you in the Café!!!

Chris

Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Go for both sets. You can't go wrong, both of these guys are totally different from each other. You have lots to learn from the both of them.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Thanks, Chris.

I hang around but only post if I have something legitimate to add to the discourse.

Adding to what Lonnie said, if you're thinking of adding this trick to your repertoire, you really should buy both. It's always best to get all of the available data to find what's right for you. It's possible that you'll find something in the original routine, something in Bill's handling and something in Tony Clark's take that you'll want to add to your own routine. Then, you end up with a hybrid that's unlike anyone else's!
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1485 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Jim Sisti already wrote it, but I would like to add to that advice.

Quote:
On 2004-03-03 13:22, Jim Sisti wrote:
Just to add to the information necessary to make an informed buying decision, besides the DVD featuring Bill performing and teaching his handling of the Slydini Silks, the booklet contains a photo-illustrated manuscript written by Lewis Ganson with Slydini's original routine, in addition to several other variations and ideas. This comes straight from the "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" book.

Actually, I have them both and also Steve Drauns version. And to be honest it's not any of the DVD's that are the best explanation, it is "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" booklet by Lewis Ganson that is the very, very best explanation. It contains all the ins and outs from Slydini himself, all his experience through a lifetime performing this trick. This booklet comes with the Bill Malone DVD, and of course its always nice to see a live performance to support you in rehearsing the trick. And Malone does a fine explanation - high quality.

One advice though. Steve Draun has the best method of covering the "release" of the silks. Looking at Steve Draun it simply looks like nothing is hidden and everything is natural moves. Steve Drauns flow during the release is the best I've seen. see http://www.stevedraun.com where you can also find a live demo presentaion of the effect.

Start out with the booklet (and Bill Malone DVD) is my advice. The Malone DVD is not better than the other DVD's, however the booklet is all the money worth. It's the best buy, you'lll get the silks, the booklet and a DVD for a very fair price.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of Michael238
I have the Clark dvd,and love the trick.
I like the set up of the dvd, wher you can choose the view from which to learn from. (front or back)
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-02-27 16:46, Peo Olsson wrote:
BILL Malone! BILL Malone! BILL Malone! Smile

Peo

Peo,

You've got that entirely wrong!!!! Its:

BILL MA-LONE!!.......BILL MA-LONE!!.......BILL MA-LONE!! (grin)

Seriously, this is a masterful effect and, to learn it properly and be able to appreciate the subtle differences, I'd recommend getting the three routines (Clark's, Draun's and Malone's) and working the he** out of all of them to find out what works best for YOU.

Mike

P.S. And, for the icing on the cake, try to obtain a copy of Slydini performing the effect on the Dick Cavett show. What a masterpiece of magic, and, what a master of magic that man was.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
We're can we find Slydini on teh Cavett show? I'd loev to see the master at work!!!!!