The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Magic (physical) Special F/X -The Passion of the Christ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, he certainly outdid himself in Mel's movie!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2004-03-04 07:38, MagicTopher wrote:
I enjoyed 'The Passion Of The Christ', but I thought the book was better. Hehehehe!!

Oh, and a quick note to Daffy,

Check out http://www.imdb.com

They list full credits and every other detail you can think of about pretty much every movie ever made. That's probably where Marshall got the info from.

Cheers!

-- Topher

you got it. haven't seen the movie.
was curious and to see if I knew anyone.
but there was no magic consultant. if there
were they do put done "magic consultant".
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I haven't seen it yet, but I would not rule out CG.

The things they can do on digital systems now are pretty amazing.

I did just watch "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" by Robert Rodriguez this week, and he has some interesting little shorts on the DVD that explain some very interesting effects.

In one scene, Johnny Depp reaches into the empty eye socket of Cheech Marin's dead body. They did this by filming Cheech laying on the ground. then marked the spot and replaced him with a dummy that had an empty eye socket, reshot the scence, then they digitally combined the images. The result is that it looks like Cheech because it IS Cheech - amazingly convincing, and very easy to do with the equipment available today.

Having also recently re-watched "American Werewolf in London" one of the high water marks of traditional make-up and animitronic special effect movies, I was impressed but it doesn't compare to what can be done digitally these days.

In fact, it's so easy to digitally touch up scenes on film now that a lot of CG work goes on in film passages where you would never suspect it, just to enhance or subtly improve something that didn't belong.

Again I haven't seen this so maybe you're right, maybe they did use an arrangement like you suggest but it would have been easier to film a hand on the board, then put a fake hand on the board to drive the nail in, then digitally combine the two images.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
True True Scott and what I am about to say in NO way intends to negate your contribution here. All Great points!

There has been a weired trend Toward physcial effects which is why I am interested (relative to our magic craft). The Very best example will astound you. Rent Blade II (Snipes) and watch the extras on the DVD. When you watch the film (like the film or not) you will be Convinced of full CG (yawn). Then watch the extras and shockingly see more animatronics, wax and latex bodies, robotics for scenes that you thought possible. I will purchase the DVD just to review the physical illusions to keep as a robotic reference.

The CG-Makeup blend that you speak of is indeed a great marriage.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Scott Chesney
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Scott Chesney
I saw the film and loved it. I actually did not think the special effects were that impressive. The skin looked very fake as did other aspects.

Scott