The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Once upon a time... :: Education as the story (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
I apologize for double posting. I posted the following in "Food For Thought" but I wonder if it wouldn't have some interest here as well.

I teach mathematics and I'm finding that the theory and practice of the presentation of magical effects is full of good advice for a math teacher. I've had the thought recently that there are a number of ideas and results in mathematics that can't be directly shown. These turn up when looking at higher spatial dimensions (the fourth is fun to start with) or in topology which is usually characterized as 'rubber sheet' geometry because lengths and angles take a back seat to those properties of objects which persist when lengths and angles are relaxed.

This topic is therefore probably only of interest to folks with a side interest in mathematics but if you have that interest, I'd be happy to chat with you. Here are some initial ideas since my revelation: Professor's Nightmare. In topology there is the idea of 'homeomorphism' which is a continuous deformation of one object into another. Different lengths of string are 'homeomorphic' while different knots (the unknot vs. the trefoil) are not (not pun intended but none regretted). So you could imagine, as an instructor (or an entertainer of mathematicians) saying something along the lines of "While it's not actually possible to deform a rope of this variety, if could perform the homoemorphism on the board here *gestures* it would look something like this," and the instructor seems to have transformed different lengths into the same length. Homeomorphisms come equipped with an inverse so it's easy to undo this process.

That's one idea, admittedly niche, but changing the orientations of objects penetrations etc can be explained using a fourth spatial dimension (which was certainly already thought of a long time ago in seances etc). My realization is that the effect becomes a demonstration not of the magicians prowess but of an idea. It seems less important how the effect works, but rather that it demonstrates what WOULD happen if this mathematical idea could be seen through. In the context of teaching I wonder if this creates a different perception of the effect.

There's lots of room here I'm sure. I'm also sure I can't be the first to think of the deceptive aspect of magic creating an opportunity for educating, or for creating the perception of education vs duping. Would this change the dynamic which sometimes pits the magician against the spectator, fooler vs fooled?

If anyone is interested in brainstorming along these lines just say so I'll just brain dumping Smile
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I always like magic more when someone spends the time to tell a story or present something in a fun way. I always dislike magic when I see it performed as the magician vrs the spectator, or fooler vrs fooled. Great magic happens when you connect in the way you are talking about. You SHOULD try this in the class room. Make your story come to life with facts dates names ...... the professor can be you? and your nightmare trying to grasp the concept homeomorphism or what ever...... I strive to put stories to any and all magic I do. It is really not about the affect but the way someone choses to perform it.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
When I was sustitute teaching a lot, I had many opportunties to use magci to illustrate a point of of a lesson --

didn't matter which subject, just chnage the story to fit with magic to provide the "retention."

Happy to discuss some of the possibilites anytime at funsway@eversway.com

For math, Conradi Blocks (CubaLinbra) has many possible story htemes better than the original
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

I had a math professor that would often times get sidetracked telling stories of some of the great mathmaticians and their indiscretions.
Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
Friend2cptsolo,

Me too, I really enjoy story and the story, I think, sometimes can reduce the 'magician vs. spectator' aspect which I'm not comfortable. I want to share fascinating illusions vs demonstrate my powers. No judgement there, it's just not a character I can carry or pull off. Ultimately I'm a teacher and I want to instruct or share, I'm picking up some great ideas from the Café on this.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

I think one can tell a story but still display their magical powers through the story. And doesn't a teacher or educator have "magical powers" as well,..... the power of knowledge?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
You might want to check this thread from 2010:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=99

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I'm an English teacher, so story and thematic debates of all kinds are daily fare. Take the poem "Invictus," -- you know it -- the one that ends with the lines "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul". When the kids come back from Xmas break, I'm gonna hit 'em with a free-will demonstration that'll get them talking. Are they really masters of their fate? It'll be a fun class.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I'm an English teacher, so story and thematic debates of all kinds are daily fare. Take the poem "Invictus," -- you know it -- the one that ends with the lines "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul". When the kids come back from Xmas break, I'm gonna hit 'em with a free-will demonstration that'll get them talking. Are they really masters of their fate? It'll be a fun class.
Geoff Akins
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Geoff Akins
While I don't know the science/math behind things like homeomorphism I will say that anytime a teacher can bring a heady concept out of theory and into some physical form I, personally, can understand it more fully. When this is done in a magical way the effect is two-fold...it's a double whammy of Wow, what an interesting concept/theory and Wow, how did he DO that! Win-Win!!
Ergerbor
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Ergerbor
BeThePlunk, sounds fascinating, let us know how it turns out.

Geoff Akins, Love the profile pic, I'm a huge fan of bubbles, do you include that in your act?
Sh9bum9
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
I'm always looking for ways to incorporate magic into my elementary school class. I have used it to teach about behavior and to start lesson units. Love these posts.
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Tesla died face down at a table of half finished notes and theories, a man that had agreed to a deal,worth MILLIONS(which he never recieved) from the head of General Electric,Thomas Edison. Died penniless!
There on the table was the plans for a DEATH RAY machine and a picture of Eistein.

I think a magic effect can be in this some how. But this is how we can easily set the stage for a great historic lesson and magic.

Knowledge so powerful it could drive a genius insane???
Quchoul
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Quchoul
Thank you for such a story.
Quchoul
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Quchoul
I finally figured out the topic using your posts. The fact is that the issue is very controversial and there are a lot of opinions on this matter. recently wrote an essay on this topic, collaborated with this resource https://ca.edubirdie.com/business-plan-writing-service they helped me a lot with thoughts on the topic. Professional business plan writing services for students. I browsed their database of business plan essay writers and found the one that's right for my project.
Carlosfa
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Carlosfa
I am a teacher too and Students love stories and magic so if you can connect both worlds, you will have a great success although it is not always easy so it is practice and patience. I am constantly finding the way to do it better.