The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Kustom, Audio Choice, Nady brand PA's? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings,

I've read many posts on here about various sound systems, and I've done searches (in archive too) but have not found any info on any of these brands:

Kustom, Audio Choice, and Nady

musicianschoice.com has good prices on PA systems from these brands with of course "reviews" that are favorable. Does anyone have any experience with any of these brands? Specifically the PA amps, speakers, and mixers (sold as packages by musiciansfriend, or as units like Kustom Profile One).

Thanks
Joe
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I have had the opportunity to play around with the Kustom Profile One PA system and I was impressed with it. The system had a nice clean sound. The guy at the music store was pretty high on it and I trust him.

The only down side I saw to the Kustom set-up is that it's pretty heavy. Unlike the Fender Passport system and several other small PAs, the Profile One is made with 3/4" wood cabinets. I suspect that they are particle board or something similar (to keep the price down.) It does come with a nice carrying case.

If you're serious about it, Musician's Friend has them on sale for $299.99 right now and it may qualify for free shipping. They also have a money-back guarantee on anything you buy from them. (I've returned stuff with them before and they didn't give me any problems whatsoever about it. They even mailed me a shipping label to return the package.)

Here's the link:

I can't really comment on the others as I don't have any experience with them. Nady is better known for inexpensive wireless microphone systems than for their PAs and I haven't heard of Audio Choice before.

Personally, I still prefer the Carvin StageMate system. It's more costly but you get battery-powered flexibility, as well as AC. Here's the link to the StageMate: http://www.carvin.com/products/single.ph......CID=SYS1

Michael
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I used the Kustom One for a week and returned it for a Fender Passport. Now I have 2 Passports (PD150 and PD250) and love them.

Michael is right about the Kustom and not only that but I found them klunky because they REQUIRED a case (felt like I was carrying around a home stereo) where the Fender all snaps together. The Fender Passport entry level is only $130. more at the same place posted.
FYI Passport comes in 2 models each having 2 sub-models.
P-150 (150 Watt)
PD-150 (D for digital processing) has Bose speakers and Digital Anti echo circuit so they can be Behind you which is cool because you know exactly how you sound.

P-250 (250 Watt)
PD-250 (Digital same as above)

Other advantages is optional Battery pack which lasts Forever it seems, and a wireless module so it's all internal.
It's the flavor of the year for me after a dozen systems or more.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
You’re absolutely right Glod-

I have a Fender PD 250- and love it. I use it when I do smaller facilities and there is not sound tech hired to do my sound. It’s important to point out- the PD version is much better -- don’t get stuck with the Grey- (P) version- it is terrible. I didn’t know that Bose had anything to do with the speaker enclosures- but I can believe it- the difference is night and day.

I can broadcast to about 700 people indoors and about 400-500 outdoors with this system. The thing I like best about this system is that it is what I call- “Sound reinforcement” – as opposed to a loudspeaker system. Audiences don’t want a loudspeaker system for the most part- unless they are getting a DJ- or concert experience. With the Fender PD 250 my voice and music is nicely broadcast like a soft net into the audience- it has nice rich sounds that carry well and do not need to be overdriven to be heard.

Having 2 speakers will accomplish this sound reinforcement idea- as opposed to a loud and heavy JBL PA off to one side. Sound reinforcement is much more pleasant and aerie to the audience, and if you have never tried this idea- you should rent one once and try it yourself first. The rule of thumb for me is the speakers are spread apart 2/3 of the entire width of the space that my shoulders run- as I am facing the audience. In this way I can walk freely into the audience without worry of feedback and I don’t necessarily need a stage monitor to hear my own voice unless I am singing.

The battery configuration runs off a 24 volt system- as there is a voltage doubler you must buy in addition to the 12 volt battery and works for a few shows before re-charging.

It is the best all-around system that I have run into as well and I too have had a couple dozen tries including the Sampson, Anchor, JBL, and to many others I don’t remember off hand. The JBL PD 250 is just big enough for most audiences about 500 or so, and comes with a handy pocket/drawer in the back for all my cables and the remote controller, everything I need. It is fast and easy to set-up, and snaps back together for easy transport when I’m done.
Cheers,
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
While it is true that the Profile is heavier and doesn't snap together, it has an important advantage over the Nady, Fender, and Audio Choice: it has a subwoofer. That is, unlike the others it has three speaker cabinets rather than two. The result is amazing sound quality for the price. So if you are looking for relative small size, and great quality sound, the Profile is a definite winner. Get it with the roller bag and speaker stands.

However, I have some major quibbles with the Profile. The built-in effects are of poor quality. They don't degrade the sound, they just sound very artificial. And my other complaint is that in spite of the dual satellite speakers, it is a monophonic unit.

Therefore, I am looking to replace it with the B-52 Matrix 1000. It's bigger, more expensive, and weighs much more. Also, although it's powered, you need to add a mixer and any EFX. But you get what you pay for.