The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Solenoid help needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Here's a question for someone smart with solenoids-

I recently acquired a prop which uses a solenoid to raise and lower a piece along a track. Now, I know nothing about solenoids but in the last 24 hours I've tried to educate myself as much as possible. I believe what I have is a 5 port, 4 way solenoid. It connects to a compressor and also has an electric plug. So, when the electricity is off, the air flows one way, forcing the part in one direction along the track. When the power is on, the solenoid fires and switches airflow direction, causing the part to go the other way.

Here's the issue- this thing leaks air. Specifically, it's not leaking near any of the 5 ports, but over on the end where the piston/plunger type setup is located. There's a small snap ring that goes around the end of the piston and that's the spot where it leaks. I can buy a new one, but is this as simple as fixing a seal somewhere? The plunger/piston has several rubber O rings around it and they all appear to be in good shape. I also greased it as recommended but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a ton!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
1st I would get new O rings, even though they look okay, they could be shrunk. If they are rubber, then install the new none rubber O ring. Most auto stores sell packs of mixed O rings that may/should work, otherwise go to a good Ace Hardware store. I hope by grease you meant Vaseline or a product specifically for O rings. I been trying to find an air leak in my car for months. It is very hard to find these, as they only leak heavily when under pressure.