The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: What is this effect? Piece of paper torn and vanished...3 times. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
My Father described this effect to me and he remembers it from an older magician who performed it on TV approx. 20 year ago. He doesn't remember the show.

The camera was zoomed in on the magician’s hands and didn't leave that view, nor pause.

The magician took a piece of paper, tore it up, and wadded it into a ball and it vanished. He performed this vanish three times in a row, slowly and clearly showing both sides of his hands.

I can't imagine this to include the use of a TT.

What is this effect? Does anyone remember this performer? Thanks in advance.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It sounds a lot like Slydini, but I can't name the effect without revealing the "secret".

I think he performed this on TV, but it would have been more than twenty years ago, unless it was a rerun or some sort of "tribute" show, or someone else performing Slydini's "Paper Balls ..." trick.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It may also have been his paper balls in the hat or box routine. Did he do the thing with music playing? Or did he have volunteer sit in a chair to get a closer view of the magic as he vanished the paper balls.

One happens at a table to music.

The other happens with a volunteer.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As I remember seeing Slydini on a special a very long time ago. Slydini did his paper balls to box frame with a volunteer setting to his left.

In that same special he did his Silk Fountain effect, where scarves poured out of his hands and fell on the floor. Not the traditional flower opening effect.

Slydini also did his coins thru table, with an added visible coin thru table. That is not described in any of his works.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I checked and found out that there was not a volunteer involved. The only time you saw the full body of the magician is when he was introduced. After that, the camera zoom focused in on the hands and only the hands as the routine did not include any props. There was a black background, possibly a close-up mat, if my Dad remembers correctly. He doesn't remember if there was music or not.

MageofMeadows, please give the name of the effect or even some type of reference if you know any so I can research the effect. I'm not asking for the secret. Smile Thanks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Slydini used a condom for his silk fountain.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-02-21 14:11, Pete Biro wrote:
Slydini used a condom for his silk fountain.

So did Celeste Evans.

The effect in question, though, reminds me of some of the torn and restored cigarette paper routines I have seen in various places. Most of them do not need a TT.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
I was thinking the same thing Bill. I know Michael Skinner had a routine that he tore the cigarette paper 2 or 3 times. I know it can be found in Michael Skinner’s Intimate Magic, which Jeff Busby published. Didn't Liepzig restore the cigarette paper twice as well?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In the Leipzig book, there is a description of a double or triple restoration that Leipzig did.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
It (Leipzig's routine) is also handled by Vernon in Star's of Magic.

I lost my papers, now I have to get more, and I feel silly because I don't smoke, so I find buying some cigarette papers a bit awkward. Oh well.

The girl at the counter was a knockout though, so maybe I'll be buying cigarette papers more often. Smile
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I found a picture of Slydini and my Father confirmed that indeed the magician was him. Thanks for the leads.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Could it be the torn and restored napkin in Tarbell Course? Great sucker effect!
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
There is no restored. Piece of paper was torn, crumpled, and vanished 3 times.