The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Teaching Aids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Sp0oky
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sp0oky
Smile Hello all, ok here’s my first question, I am a budding card manipulator and have recently got my hands on a copy of Expert at the Card Table (in E-Book format... bought and paid for) and I am having trouble getting anything out of this book as the drawings are pretty lame and the instructions are quite advanced.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what books or videos I should be looking at? (I am new to cards but not new to sleights, keeping in mind I have long fingers and kinda thin hands)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Spooky:

The most complete, most comprehensive, most useful and almost perfect source for card sleights at the table is - IN MY EYES Smile - Daryl’s Encyclopedia of Card Sleights. The series comprises eight video tapes (or DVDs), at 35 USD each and can be ordered at Daryl’s homepage. http://www.foolerdoolers.com

This is my very private advice and not an official ad ... although it may look like one)

Alan Ackerman (Advanced Card Control) is an alternative but - like David Roth on coins - he’s extremely boring and not as talented a teacher as Daryl.

As for books you could try finding Roberto Giobbi’s "Große Kartenschule" in English (should sound like "Great School of Card Magic" or something like this).

Concerning card magic on stage/ card manipulation, without a doubt, Jeff McBride’s three video tapes are the very best choice.

Hope this helps,

Chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Cristof’s recommendations are good (The Giobbi books are called "Card College"), but also a little expensive for the person just getting into card magic, especially if you’re not sure you’ll like it or want to pursue it yet. I would start with "Royal Road to Card Magic" available from most dealers or "Expert Card Technique," in paperback from Dover publishing and available through your local bookstore for around $10 each. Then, if you decide card magic is for you, move on to the other sources Cristof mentioned.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Sp0oky
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sp0oky
Cool thanx for the tips guys, I will look into all the suggestions Smile
Seanamon
View Profile
New user
Victoria, Texas
70 Posts

Profile of Seanamon
I might also recommend for manipulations (though you will have to work on them quite a bit) the Jeff McBride Video series on them.

Hope you find what you are searching for!

Best,
Sean
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
The McBride videos were some of the first I ever got and in my humble opinion are waaaaaaayyyy to advanced for a beginner. Check out Ammar's Easy to Master series.
Yakworld.
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
I suggest "Close-up card magic" of Lorayne.

It’s a good book and Lorayne is a good teacher.

I agree with "Card College" of Giobbi and the video course of Daryl.

Massimo
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
186 Posts

Profile of preston91
Kaufman’s "Basic, Basic Card Techniques" covers all the basic card moves and it’s interesting to watch as well.
bigjoeblue
View Profile
New user
akron ohio
82 Posts

Profile of bigjoeblue
I have to agree with Yak, Ammars’ would be great for you. I also like the John Bannon videos for some great card effects that are not too difficult to learn.
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
196 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
Be sure to check the "Recommended Books for Beginner's" thread in this section as well. Most of the above books have been mentioned as well as some other good starting points.

Doug A.
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
I still rate The Royal Road to Card Magic and also "165 card tricks and Stunts" both by Jean Hugard.
Good drawings, great tricks.

Regards The Pianoman
Fon
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
200 Posts

Profile of Fon
For anyone starting with Card books, I would certainly suggest The Royal Road to Card Magic.

It really is one of the best,

Fon
Always thinking..........?