The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Penn & Teller Fool Us season 2 episode 6 (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, Ricardo Delgado wrote:
He was talking about m_ _ _ed decks, not memdecks.

Ah!

Thanks for that...my reading comprehension was not so good.

Now that I realize that, a marked deck was not used.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4203 Posts

Profile of JanForster
But you could do exact this effect using such a deck Smile ! It would not be the correct method, but MAGIC means that there shouldn't be any explanation at all, even a wrong one is bad. BTW, Simon Aronson wrote about certain strategies concerning this issue... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I agree that asking the spec to name their card and then stopping on that card in a one-by-one deal is easily done with a marked deck. But her routine of dividing the deck, turning away and glancing at her cards while giving instructions, then lowering her hands while still turned (camera cuts away) suggests something else. I vote for a memdeck and her readiness to watch as many as 26 cards dealt before the reveal.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4203 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, of course... But this routine will only impress an intelligent layman if he knows that it is not a m...ed deck. And using a MD it is not important if you use two sets of 26 from the beginning or simply switch in later a second set of (e. g.) #1 - #26... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of nlokers
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, JanForster wrote:
Yes, of course... But this routine will only impress an intelligent layman if he knows that it is not a m...ed deck. And using a MD it is not important if you use two sets of 26 from the beginning or simply switch in later a second set of (e. g.) #1 - #26... Jan

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here. Does MD in this context mean marked deck or mem deck? And by 'important' do you mean 'necessary'?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4203 Posts

Profile of JanForster
MD means memorized... And I meant "important" Smile
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2015, JanForster wrote:
But you could do exact this effect using such a deck Smile ! It would not be the correct method, but MAGIC means that there shouldn't be any explanation at all, even a wrong one is bad. BTW, Simon Aronson wrote about certain strategies concerning this issue... Jan

I think that is exactly why she looks the other way while he is dealing the cards on her hand. This is in an elegant and subtle way to disprove for the suspicious spectators that she was not using a marked deck.

Tamariz covers a lot of this theory on "The Magic Way".
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4203 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I agree, but to be honest I would have even stated that verbally, also the Why. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1414 Posts

Profile of Jerry
May be typing MmD and MkD would be an easier shorthand without exposing the method?