The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Now, I need help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
OK, third time filling in for this friend just came and went. Since it looks like I'm going to be doing more close up, I need recommendations on what else I need to add to my repertoire. Remember, I do hardly anything that is considered genuinely close-up...all of what I do is stuff I have adapted from my parlor and stage shows to the close up atmosphere. Thanks, in advance, everyone!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hi Margarette,

always good to see you at the cafe. Smile

If you're still filling in doing the table thing, here's a few items I've used in the past. They are fairly quick, carry easy, and the laypeople really enjoy them. Smile

In no particular order: "Hot Rod" or "Color Changing Knifes", "Sponge Balls", "Brainwave Deck", "Silver,Copper,Brass", "Color Changing Silks" or "Vanishing Silks" and anything with a string or rope. I do others as well, but offer these as a suggestion.

Good Luck! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sponge balls are probably the ideal table hopping trick -- but don’t use balls.

I use sponge rabbits, from a Tenyo trick called ’Rabbit Explosion’ (the trick is lousy but the die-cut sponge rabbits -- about 40 -- are charismatic and can be tossed out when they get dirty).

Why not balls?

Well, they are round (surprise!) and tend to roll off the table. And there’s nothing that’s going to wipe out your "magic" image faster than for the customers to see you crawling around on the floor looking for a little ball.

The rabbits don’t roll off the table, are cute, and lend themselves to obvious jokes:

"This one is called Esther; you’ve heard of her -- the Esther Bunny?"

"This one is Pearl; she’s the Oyster Bunny."

"And this is Chloroform; he’s the Ether Bunny."

If the audience hasn’t lynched you by this point, you know it’s safe to go on. Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Ether Bunny!! Smile

Perhaps this is a generational thing or perhaps a regional thing but if you pull the Ether Bunny from...well...just about anywhere, you're gonna get some looks where I'm from. Either that or hysterics. Smile Smile Smile Smile Bad Ether Bunny! Go away! BAD! BAD BUNNY!
Yakworld.
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
ETHER way....it sounds funny to me!!!!!

Bengi Smile Smile Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Margarette, Scott and Peter have given some great advice here. In fact, I must admit that Peter made this recommendation to use bunnies rather than sponge balls on a different forum some time ago. I took the advice and have performed my sponge ball routine using the sponge bunnies since! They play well and I believe that they get a better response than the balls did.

When you think of restaurant work not so much as close-up but as stand-up done close. Many of your parlor type effects will work in that environment. Build sets of three effects/tricks. Try to make each effect be able to stand-alone (you might only be able to do one or two before the food comes. Don’t make the people wait for their food and don’t interrupt the wait staff as they do their jobs).

I carry two sets of three tricks on me when I am working. That is six discreet routines. I could mix and match and get roughly 35-ish acts.

One of my sets is Color changing knives, sponge bunny routine, and end with Un-card-card-trick The Un-Card-card-trick is one that involves everyone at the table that wants to participate. It uses the imagination of each spectator as the spectator takes an invisible deck and cuts it black and red, and tosses one half away, gives it to a second spectator who cuts the suits (hearts/diamonds or spades/clubs) and tosses half away, leaving yet another spectator to select any one of the 13 cards. Then name the card. The named card is found in my billfold!

My rhythm is: approach with a spectator-passive but magical effect, move to an active-spectator-participation effect, and end with another active-spectator-participation effect that can involve the whole table.

Another rhythm I have is to have a Money trick [Beswitched, Miss-made bill, scotch and soda (hey check out Peter’s non-gimmicked one) etc.], a novelty trick (sponge balls/bunnies, color changing knives, mini linking rings, professors nightmare, Ring on string routine), and one in the hands card trick (I have over 100 of these).

I frankly don’t carry a lot, as I also know literally 100’s of routines that can be performed with what is at hand (some call it impromptu magic, but it is not as I am rehearsed and prepared). Dan Harlan has a set of tapes that show tons of this kind of stuff. For example, I can get almost 5 minutes with a borrowed lit cigarette. (Performed in bars only in this State and never before children) and I don’t smoke! Borrow a dollar bill and I have a whole routine that is totally magical and stand-up close. It’s good for a good 3 to 5 minutes. See Harlan’s tapes for both of these routines

You don’t need a lot. Just do what you do well! And by all means, HAVE FUN!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1981 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Keep it all as direct as possible and try to focus on audience participation, whether you’re borrowing objects, having them sign cards, or just plain conversing with them... get them active.

The key also is knowing when your time is up at a table, ie.

When you’ve worn out your welcome. So keep it fast and build a cresendo with your act.