The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Please Direct me to a Good Double T Resource (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Veirs
View Profile
New user
Fuzhou, Fujian Province, China
22 Posts

Profile of Veirs
Hello all
(this post is related to a TT. I am unsure if I am posting in the correct category, apologies if I have put this in the wrong place)

I'll cut my story down as short as possible..

A former student of mine in the university I teach at approached me having learnt his first few magic tricks he couldn't wait to break out in to performance for me. It seems someone taught him a couple self working tricks and one trick that at least to me seemed beyond an entry level trick...

That being said I feel I want to help out my former student after all he has left a good impression on me, always polite and punctual in and out of the classroom. Both him and his girlfriend (who has been learning magic for a couple years) sent me a get well card after my recent injury which had my hand in a cast and out of magic for three months and counting.

to the point: I want to purchase this lad a DVD or book detailing proper use of a TT. He doesn't know how to use it apart from the vanishing hanky.

Here is the kicker...I am so behind on all the media and literature out there in the magic world I have no idea what to pick out...
I also don't have many friends in magic since I moved away from Canada to live in China...even less that speak English...

so in closing if anyone has any recommended resources they could recommend me I would appreciate it quite a lot.

thanks for reading.

Have a great day!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Veirs
View Profile
New user
Fuzhou, Fujian Province, China
22 Posts

Profile of Veirs
Thank you very much for those Kaliix

That last one looks especially juicy :)

Cheers!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Go with Gary Darwin's books, or I guess he has a DVD version now. Also, there is some work in The Michael Ammar Book of Magic about the TT. He mostly deals with more natural ways of using the TT without the typical "poke the thumb into the fist" tell that reads TT to so many laymen. He has a better handling by far, but it takes a little more skill and practice, but the effort is worth the thought and time.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
You might look at the TT DVD in the "Paul Harris Presents Hand-Picked Astonishments" series. This series is geared for beginners, but still has greater material for more seasoned performers.

You might also look into the video Dan Harlan made as part of the ongoing Tarbell series being produced with Penguin Magic (it's Tarbell 6). Dan's a great teacher.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Michael Ammar is another great teacher, and he has a DVD devoted to a bill switch using a TT.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Gary Darwin put out what seemed like 50 books on TT ideas. There are real gems in that book and they are loaded full too. There is even one that has Sigfrieds favorite routine in it. I believe these books are really reasonable as far as price too.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
If you can find a copy, there is Steve Dusheck's Thumb Tip Magic. A lot of non-standard uses of the prop in there.

Jim
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Patrick Page's DVD on Thumb Tip magic has a lot to offer
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6125