The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: +++Help! Trouble With Memorized Deck Routine+++ (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
I was viewing a splendid Memorized Deck routine on my Facebook page from someone on one the magic related groups. Unfortunately, the page switched (I hate that) and I couldn't find the video.
In effect, a full deck is stacked, alternately divided into reds and blacks (prep)
Performance: Deck is shuffled by magician, a 'clumpy shuffle' is recommended.

Deck is cut into two halves. Magician must be sure bottom card of one packet is opposite color of bottom card of second packet.
Spectator selects a packet. Magician spreads this packet face up and pushes a black and red card out as markers'. Simply by reading the cards in the face up spread to himself, magician is able to read color of cards in his face down packet. If first three cards in face up packet are red, first three cards in face down packet will be black, on and on.

I may have missed a 'move' because I can't get it to work. Great trick if anyone knows all the steps.
Any comments? Thanks!

Ray
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In order to allow for the Gilbreath principle, the first overhand shuffle has to keep the cards alternating by either cutting portions from top to bottom or running an odd number of cards singly from top to bottom. That is, your cards should still be alternating colors when you finish the overhand shuffle.

Then you can allow a riffle shuffle (opposite color bottom cards). Each pair starting from the top of the deck will have opposite colors.
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of nlokers
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2015, landmark wrote:
In order to allow for the Gilbreath principle, the first overhand shuffle has to keep the cards alternating by either cutting portions from top to bottom or running an odd number of cards singly from top to bottom. That is, your cards should still be alternating colors when you finish the overhand shuffle.

Then you can allow a riffle shuffle (opposite color bottom cards). Each pair starting from the top of the deck will have opposite colors.
That's it! Thanks so much guys for your expert advice. I can now play around with the GP. Amazing technique. Thanks again.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
If you are shuffling the cards yourself, Stay Stack is a much better option!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
This effect is very similar to Red and Black in Asi Wind's Chapter One. I should point out that though this is stacked deck trick, it has nothing to do with a memorized deck.