The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Do you think that a kid is limited to doing kids shows? pls read for explaination. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I am no kid, I am a young adult. Most of my magic experience is doing adult evening parties. However, at these parties, I knew at least one person who was having the party. Also, I didn't do shows like shows per say, it was more strolling the party, working the guests. Adults like me not cause I'm a little smarty pants or anyhting, but I have a mature understanding of sex drugs, politics, whatever comes up at parties. My question is this, now that I'm moving off the stage off the street and into parties of total strangers, will children be my only audience? Is their any way that I can convince adults to hire a sixteen year old? Perhaps I simply must demonstrate my ability to fully entertain with magic and my personality and work on word of mouth? This isn't exactly a kids forum question, but I think children's parents may feel the same way. When I am traveling the world, as I do, I first work the streets close-up, blaine style. Then I do a large stage show for the town. This way everyone knows me. Back stateside, I can do niether huge stage shows, or frequent demos. Does this make any sense? Any suggestions. Thnx. Smile
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Unfortunately, I think it will be tough (not impossible) for someone your age to do.

One option is to get letters of recommendation from those hosts you've performed for before. Make sure the letter mentions that it was an all-adult audience, how mature you were, and how much their guests enjoyed your performance. Don't over-do it and be blatant, but make sure it's in there.

Another thing is to be sure your promo material is well done and targeted toward the adult market. How you look, talk, and present yourself may not necessarily get the bookings, but they could lose them if they're not consistent with the market you wish to work in.

Good Luck.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Thnx for the ideas. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mith,
It will be difficult to break into the adult market but it doesn't have to be impossible.
Mike Robbins' two suggestions -- letters of recommendation, and targetting your audience -- are good ones that will go a long way in helping you reach your goal.
Also, go with what you've got; in your case, your youth.
No point, at your age, trying to talk about your years of study in Tibet!
But you can use your youth as the "instrument" through which the magic works.
Teen prodigy? Mozart? That sort of thing.
As for working the audiences (as opposed to getting the job, which are two different things), you'll probably have more success with adults than children.
Speaking from experience (lots of experience!), doing kids' shows is about the hardest thing anyone will ever do in magic.
Good luck.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Thanks peter, thats sort of my problem, adults are so much easier than children, I guess because the adults (mostly) want to be entertained, and the kids want to win. The child prodigy thing could work, but I have to try to stay humble. A facet of my character that started on accident and now works great is the sort of bumbling magician, at least with card tricks, and adults that know me love that I drop the cards and assure them that the trick won't work, only to pull off a spectacular routine. But good ideas, than you. Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Mith,

On one or more of Joannie Spina, VHS, "Get Your Act Together Videos", she talks about using one's character to enhance this young adult's magic.

The Magician dresses like a teen, did origional magic with skate board, ball gum machine, etc. It brought out the best in the teen. When I get a chance I review it again and post a little more.

Being who you are is the best advantage you have, Peter and I cannot come across as a teen, nor can you come across as an experienced worldly adult. Your time is now, an act that focuses on mid-to late teens is good until your in your late 20's unless you look older than most teens.

The music, the dress, the issues that perplex parents magically resolved are all yours for the taking. I know $90 is a lot for the series of tapes, so if you know of someone you could borrow them from to review what I am talking about the ideas will flow quickly.

To come off like Lance Burton act which won him the FISM award would not be in your character at this time, and then again, he's already done it so it wouldn't be origional.
Dennis Michael
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
"thats sort of my problem, adults are so much easier than children, I guess because the adults (mostly) want to be entertained, and the kids want to win."

I have to disagree. Adults will appreciate your skills as a magician. Kids just want to be entertained. One of the biggest lessons I learned from David Kaye (Silly Billy) is that for kids; it's about getting to the magic. Not the trick itself.

That's why so many magicians do not like performing for kids. It's a different art form that requires a different way of thinking. You are not going to wow them with your slieght of hand/magic. It can come off as a challenge (especially to other teenagers). With kids, you have to be an entertainer first. Magician second.

Back to your original question: Have you considered the resturant market? I know of some magicians your age working at resturants. You get to do your magic for adults (as well as some kids) and it may help you get other jobs. However, depending on your area, it may be hard to find a resturant gig. Regardless of age. I'm sure some of the resturant guys here can help you with that area.
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Once again guys, thanx. I have considered restraunt magic, and I plan on doing some, I just want to be able to do parties as well. Also, thank you for your suggestion Den Dowhy, but I cannot see myself doing a skateboard, bubble gum chewing act. Yes, I am a normal teenager, and I surf and ride dirt bikes and everything, but then again, I have traveled to more places in the world and done more in sixteen years than many adults have in their lives. With this in mind, I am trying to act like a worldly adult, and while people may not always buy it, I must try. The conjurers of the late 19th century are whom I try to emulate, with a modern twist. Once again thank you. Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Do a levitation with a surfboard, or appearance with a dirt bike. Acting like a worldly mature adult may work in your mid twenties but it would take a special act to do it. Murray worked with computer disks and he pulled it off. It is possible, but tough.

Good luck.
Dennis Michael