The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: Scripting Magic Sold Out -- Alternatives? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Hi everyone!

I am very interested in creating scripts for my magic effects. I have a passion for writing and I think I would be good at developing scripts if I had the proper tools/info.

When researching good resources for the scripting of magic, I found that over and over again, the number one suggestion was Scripting Magic by Peter McCabe. Unfortunately, after looking at every merchant that had the book listed, I realized every copy was sold out.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy (if I missed a merchant that still has it), or if there are any alternative resources/books/ebooks that would help me in scripting my repertoire? Thanks!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I was thinking about this and I would like to help, but give me some time because I'll have to gather some info.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2015, mtpascoe wrote:
I was thinking about this and I would like to help, but give me some time because I'll have to gather some info.

No problem, take as much time as you need to gather info. Thank you for being willing to help, I appreciate it!
Tech Head Steve
View Profile
New user
Sussex, UK
61 Posts

Profile of Tech Head Steve
Can I jump in on this topic as well please, researching scripting now....
Be excellent to each other, especially me.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Of course!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Anand - keep looking, it will come available.

In the meantime, keep a notebook and write down every element of your script. What you say and what you do.

I typically go back and forth. Develop a written script and then perform for a while. My script naturally changes. Then I re-write with what I'm actually saying/doing in performance. I will also video a practice.

These are important for when you set a trick aside for a while and then want to come back to it. Make sure you use a good note books that you will keep for years - I settled on MoleSkin They are a bit pricy, but I've got them going back since 2006, so for me it is worth it to have a permanent record of my work.

Hudson
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Thanks, Hudson!
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Check out a book by Maren Elwood entitled, "Write the Short, Short".

You can get it on Amazon for 10 dollars or so.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Additionally, if you really want to learn how to write a script, you are probably better off learning from actual scriptwriters.
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Anand,

There are bits of useful advice in Tarbell Volume 2 ("How to Please Your Audience") and Volume 3 ("How to Make People Laugh"). Roberto Giobbi also has some useful thoughts on scripting and presentation in the "Theory" chapter of Volume 2 of "Card College".

There's also useful guidance sprinkled throughout Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment". Eugene Burger outlines some useful principles for scripting magic in the description of his Cardwarp presentation ("The Inquisition") in his book, "The Experience of Magic".

All of the above are really good reads that you would probably enjoy having on your shelf (if you don't already), even if they don't help you with scripting. And all are still available.

My favorite book that addresses scripting of magic is David Parr's "Brain Food"--David provides a good model for the creative process (I'm no doubt biased, since that model closely matches my own), and solid examples from his own repertoire. Plus, it’s a fun read. Unfortunately, a quick google search indicated that it's a little hard to find (and expensive when you do).

Walt Anthony provides a lot of models of storytelling magic in his book, "Tales of Enchantment". He also offers suggestions on scripting and presentation. His style may not be your cup of tea, but the book may spark some worthwhile creative exercises for you.

When it comes to crafting presentations, I often hold a thought of Teller's in mind:

"Great artists often leave us models rather than instructions. And I'd much rather study those models than formulas deduced by scholars and codified in textbooks. Models show us method and technique in the context of the beauty they serve. Models do not oversimplify, nor do they give us the impression that creating art is merely filling in the spaces in a paint-by-numbers pattern."

That's one of the reasons that Jim Steinmeyer's "The Conjuring Anthology" is one of my all-time favorite magic books. Mr. Steinmeyer's models of classic effects combined with interesting presentational premises are a constant source of inspiration to me.

Off the magic path, Judy Carter's "Stand Up Comedy: The Book" offers some useful excercises on creating character and material for the stand up comic. I found it to be pretty applicable to creating magic presentations, and the book is available for cheap on Amazon.

The fact that you have a passion for writing is probably your most powerful tool. Combine that with Hudson's advice about a notebook, and you'll probably be fine (Harlan Ellison's practice of writing a new short story every day may be a useful example to follow). Maybe read the book Dorian mentioned, maybe some of the ones I mention, but mostly: get writing, perform the material, and rewrite as needed.

Good luck! I bet you'll do great.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! I really appreciate it.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Early as a writer, the first two things that inspired me was the Continuty list in Henning Nelms book on Magic and Showmanship and Syd Field’s book “The Screenwriter's Workbook”. Which I think is more practically than his first book, “Screenplay”.

Both books taught me how to organize my writing which I think is very important to anyone wishing to put words to paper.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Pete McCabe states on his website that Vanishing Inc. will be releasing "Scripting Magic 2" and possibly a matching re-release of the first book. You might want to reach out to Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin to see what their ETA is. The first book is great and I'm looking forward to the second.

In the meantime, there is a good chapter in "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber than can help direct your scripting choices.
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2015, Christopher Moro wrote:
Pete McCabe states on his website that Vanishing Inc. will be releasing "Scripting Magic 2" and possibly a matching re-release of the first book. You might want to reach out to Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin to see what their ETA is. The first book is great and I'm looking forward to the second.

We don't have an ETA at this stage. The updates and new layout for the first volume is complete but there is still at least five or six months work required for volume 2. We have really enjoyed working with Pete on these excellent books!
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Thanks for the update, Josh/Andi!
VanishingInc
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of VanishingInc
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2015, Christopher Moro wrote:
Thanks for the update, Josh/Andi!

Anytime Christopher!

Let us know if you guys anymore questions!

-Kyle
We personally curate every product we sell because we put quality and service first.
Steve Wilson
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Steve Wilson
I've always found that no matter what I write the little witicisms that I come up with on the spur of the moment are always funnier.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, Capn_Polyester wrote:
I've always found that no matter what I write the little witicisms that I come up with on the spur of the moment are always funnier.

I prefer a nice script for when I don't have anything witty to say. Having a script also provides me with some interesting choices like what words to emphasize and where to put the pauses. In my opinion one shouldn't perform without a rehearsed script.
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
If anybody is looking for a nice copy of 'Scripting Magic' then PM me as I have 2 copies and looking to sell one of them.