The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Help finding trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
I'm trying to remember a trick where performer used numbers 1 - 9, and 3 sets of colored balls. We'll use red, green and blue. Red may have been 1, 3, and 7, while blue would be 2, 4, 9 and green 5, 6, 8. Someone would throw the balls out into the audience, someone else would select the color pattern, i.e. RGB, and then a person with that colored ball would call out their number and so on until 3 three digit numbers where made. Those numbers would be added up and the solution found in a envelope. Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone?

John
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
Found it....
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
What was this effect called?
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I can't recall the generic name for this type of effect, but one version was called Ultra Mentalism, and was featured in the Stevens on-line catalog over a dozen years ago. It was based the exact same principle, but used cards with four digit numbers printed on them. The people holding the cards would call out the digits in any order. This seemed to me to be much more deceptive.

Does anyone know a name for the principle involved here?

Murf
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
There are many, many versions of this basic concept. It's often called a "matrix force", though that can be confused with a "forcing matrix", which is quite another thing entirely.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Matrix Force sounds pretty good to me. My professors of 50 years ago would be dismayed that I couldn't think of the word matrix....

Murf
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
509 Posts

Profile of hcs
1665 force. Sum of a colored set is always 15.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Forcing 1665 is, however, but one simple example of a much more general principle (the matrix force).
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Meir Yedid has a trick with large printed cards that works on the same principle' called Predict Perfect: http://mymagic.com/yedid.htm
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Indeed, there are dozens of such applications of this force. Likely the best known is Jack London's original "Almost Real Prediction", of which there have been many variations. And Marc Paul spent a lot of time discussing this force in his recent Penguin lecture.