The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Bombay Stack by Eddie Joseph (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I picked up this manuscript about 15 years ago and it has served me well during the time I performed its suggested effects (do you ever wonder why a trick you love to do somehow fades away without you noticing? It pays to go back through your drawers, brothers).

I'm wondering more about Eddie Joseph, than Bombay.
He must be more well known in some circles that escape me. His talent could not have stopped with Bombay (named such because he first conceived the idea in Bombay India). Its simply too well done and well written to be a one hit wonder.

Who can talk more on Eddie Joseph?
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
549 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Blindbo: If you liked Bombay, wait till you see Staggered and Eddie Joseph's most well known release - Premonition. All of these are available from Abbott's Magic co. in Colon, Michigan.

There was a hardbound book released by Harry Stanley in England and later reprinted by Supreme Magic Co. in England as well on the magic of Eddie Joseph. Eddie Joseph also put out a book on cups and balls, a book on the Hindu cups and balls, The Joseph Card System, 15 minutes with a borrowed deck, Card Magic of the Mind, Dumbfounders and more Dumbfounders with cards, A Magician Goes to Dinner, Come Good Spirits, Twelve Brand New Tricks, and I'm sure I am leaving a lot more out.

While Eddie Joseph put a lot of material on the market (most through Abbott's) he is most known for Premonition.
The effect: The magician has anyone in the audience stand and call out the name of any card they desire. He then tosses a deck to them and has them go through and remove that card. The card is not in the deck; in fact there are 51 cards in the pack and their card is the missing card. The magician reaches into his pocket and brings forth one single card and it is the card the spectator just called out.

While I too love Bombay, Premonition is what I use to really snap them right between the eyes. Religions have been started on a lot less.

In the back of the manuscript for Premonition is a bonus trick called "The Blind Magician Does a Trick."

I would imagine that Abbott's still sells these items. Even though they are old now, they are still gems, often overlooked by today's magicians. If you cannot find Premonition, PM me.

All the Best
Marty
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Eddie Joseph was a very clever man, and one of the three main thinkers and creators in the shell game. Like Chanin and Osbourne, Eddie is one of the few to have much to say about the shells and to add original moves and concepts to the game, most of which is published in a several month continuing article in The Magic Wand.

Gary Ouellette's shell game routine, Super Shells, is based on Eddie Joseph's work.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Abbotts were planning a compilation of the Joseph booklets a few years back. It may still be an ongoing project, but it will certainly be worth getting.

He was amazingly prolific in the fifties contributing to various magazines as well as authoring booklets. A lot of his card stuff was stacks and disguised mathematical principles rather than sleight based. As Marty suggested, he did leave a lot of booklets out.

The hardcover book is probably still available. Not a "must have" book but certainly an interesting read. These days you might say that he "thought out of the box."

Paul.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I feel I just hit the jackpot with these three responses! In just this short time I've learned of and about Eddie in a way that has me on a trail of exciting things.

In one read, it was claimed that Eddie was 'one of magic's most prolific authors of the last century.' Authoring books on specialized subjects (coins, pick-pocketing) and being especially adept at developing mental card magic. The latter I am easily convinced of, having aforementioned Bombay.

Gentlemen, thanks again for your posts!
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
979 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Eddie Joseph was one of the cleverest minds in magic and one of my favorite all-time inventors. One beautiful item that was not mentioned is his over the phone card effect titled "Telephone Repeat"..amazing stuff.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I bought a load of second hand magic books and manuscripts some years ago and it has the telephone repeat in it.. I was glad when it wasn't mentioned as I thought it would mean I have something unique!! hehe

I also found a booklet called Card Magic of the Mind and it has some great effects in it.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Trickshop.com has Premonition for $4.95 in ebook form.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I corresponded with Eddie Joseph once. He was very nice to send me his promo brochure and his photograph. He was a mentalist act.

Gordon "Mike" Meyers who worked with Abbott's over 30 years retired last year and took the Eddie Joseph material with him. He was the one authoring the book Abbott's was to publish. Mike told me at Abbott's last August (2003) that he still intends to complete the book but no idea when.

My guess is that it has been on the burner for over 10 years now, so if it ever gets completed it will be a surprise. I offered to help Mike but he had no interest.

I respect Eddie Joseph and enjoyed his material in Top's Magazine. I think a tribute to his genius is a must to be published.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Did Eddie perform?
When did he pass? How old was he?
Where did he live?
Did he 'hang out' with Marlo and the boys?
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
549 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Rob;
As Bill mentioned above, Gordon could probably give you more information regarding Eddie Joseph.
He passed away I believe in 1974.
The hardbound book "The Magic of Eddie Joseph" is still in stock at Magic Books by Post in England; you could also try H & R Magic Books here in the states.
If Gordon ever finishes the collection he has been working on, than that would be a definite book to grab up.
All the Best
Marty