The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Deluxe Cups and Balls by Bazar de Magia or Morrissey any good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
I want to get a set of Paul Fox style copper combo (chop) cups. Anybody have any thoughts on Delux Bazar de Magia or the Morrisey or any other sets in copper under a $100? Thanks for the help. After several years away I am coming back to magic. This seems like a great place. This is my first post!
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Frank,

I can't speak to the Bazar de Magia cups, although from what I've read, owners of the BDM cups are quite pleased with them.

I own a combo Morrisey set, it's what I started with when I didn't know how I'd like the effect. I got them from Magic Inc. in Chicago, and the cab fare was twice what the set cost, but it was worth the trip -- it got me hooked on the cups.

They are light, the top recess is pretty shallow, and after working with a series of progressively heavier copper cups, I'm afraid of working with them for denting them up but I keep them for purely sentimental reasons. On the positive side, they're light, and small, meaning you could work out of coat pockets, they stack well, and, so far, have kept their finish.

And they're considerably less that $100. I think mine set me back about $30 (USD) -- not counting cross-town cab fare! Smile

Have fun with your cups, but remember, they are addictive!

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, have a magical life!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I also own a Morrissey Combo set. I love the Mendoza routine...highly recommended!

Cheers!

Doug
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want copper Paul Fox Cups, the Magic Makers copies sold by Penguin are as close as you can get to the real thing for $100 or so. When you call, just ask them to do two things. Ask them to make sure that the cups nest correctly and that the beads are closed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
The Penguin cups are very nice. I upgraded to them after my Morissey Combo set. If you want a combo set, however, then you'll have to modify the penguins, as they are not gimmicked.
Magic is fun!!!
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Thanks for all the help - I love the look of the Penquin cups but is there really somebody that can modify one of them to make it chop/combo set as What suggested?
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I used the BDM cups for about a year before purchasing the penguins. The BDMs weigh about twice what the Morrisey cups do, and have a better depression on top. They will also hold a lacrosse ball. Nice cup for the money. As an owner of both, you should check out the BDMs. The penguins are shorter, but will hold the same load. I sent my first set of penguins back, as they were dented, and the tops had spinning flaws. My second set was still lacking, but it was such a pain returning the first set (and waiting 3 weeks for the new ones) that I polished out the flaws myself. I love the way they handle, they have become my workers. If you want a set of large cups Garry Knight has Gazzo seconds at an unbelievable price http://www.magicpitch.com Picked up a set and instantly fell in love. I don't think I need to buy any cups for a while.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I missed the part about the combo set. Sorry. I haven't seen the BDM combo cups, but their regular cups are a good buy for the money.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I have seen the combo set. It is an after market insert. I like the standard set, but would stay away from the combo. I use the penguins for tableside, and the Gazzo's for stand up work.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
I have been searching the internet and have come to the conclusion that a MID LEVEL set of COPPER COMBO CUPS do not exist ($100-200 range). It’s odd to me considering that copper seems the most traditional. If anybody knows more please post.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not sure what you mean by "most traditional." For a long time, it was difficult to find a chop cup in anything but aluminum, because of the problems manufacturers had with controlling the gaff when copper was used. Copper affects the way the gaff works. The first combo cups were by Morrissey and the very first were aluminum.

Granted, to me, copper cups are more aesthetically pleasing than aluminum, but that doesn't make them more traditional.

The fact that Morrissey's cups are not expensive does not necessarily make them inferior. Quite the contrary. It makes them a good buy.

If I felt that a combo cup were necessary to do the cups and balls, I would go for the Morrissey mini copper cups. They have a good shape and take a nice size load.

Otherwise, I would go right to the top and get a set from Auke Van Dokkum. They are more expensive, but are perhaps the best manufactured combo set on the planet.

You are right. There is no middle ground.

There have been some copper sets from Italy that had three chop cups. They looked great, and were not too expensive. But I have no idea where to find them any more. I got a set about 12 years ago. I sold them a few years ago, because I didn't need them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
One of the things we haven't pointed out about the Morrisey design is that it makes the ball vanish from the top of the cup very easy. It is a great convincer to add to the routine. John Mendoza makes great use of this in his published routine #1. I prefer that routine over his second.

Of course, I still perform the Vernon routine with Paul Fox Cups, because I can! Smile

Kirk G
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What is this?

Quote:
...the ball vanish from the top of the cup ...
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You place the ball onto the bottom of the cup, which is mouth down, hence mistakenly called the top of the cup. You place the other cup with the "chop" feature over this and when you lift, voila--as they say in my country--the little ball has, shall we say VANISHED. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Pete is correct, except there is another method to achieve the same look and it is easier with the Morrisey cups than any other.

Kirk