The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Climb-in balloon questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm using the Rifco from Continental. I know I have Larry's book somewhere, but can't find it at the moment. Got a few questions:

-- In case of popping, do these make a proportionately large boom?

-- How long do the effects of the dryer last? A day? A few hours? Until it cools off?

-- Other than outdoors, do you have any concerns about the stage surface (concrete vs rug vs wood vs linoleum etc)?

Ed
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Additional (epic fail while practicing!) --

While trying to climb out, the nozzle (rolled part cut off) rolled up at my waist and the balloon deflated. I was kneeling trying to get it down past my waist, but it caught and wouldn't budge, then lost all the air. Now my legs are encased in a rubber sac!! (I stretched with my legs until it broke, so I'm not posting trapped in a balloon.)

Further practice will hopefully avoid this, but if it happened once ..... So, if this type of failure happens for whatever reason,

-- any hints on gracefully salvaging the routine in front of a full house of kids?

-- I had knife and scissors in my pants pockets, and unavailable in this case. Where else do y'all stash an escape tool?

Ed
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
Regarding popping, the boom is not that loud. In fact, it's really kind of a letdown (because peope expect it to be huge). By the time you are inside it, the balloon has lost some air and is not that tight. So it's not that loud.

For stage prep, when I get to the show before I set up anything, I use my leaf blower to blow the debris. Even if it looks clean, I do this. Most indoor surfaces work (wood, carpet, etc.). The only thing I have had a problem with is one of the those portable stage, which is basically several riser-type pieces shoved together to make a stage. I would rather perform on the floor than on one of those types of stages. There are too many places where there are sharp pointed corners and the balloon can get caught and pop.

I tried to climb out once - never again. I just pop it. It takes way too long to climb out. The balloon is so trashed at that point, I don't know if you can use it again. The theatrics of popping it are better than climbing out. I just can't think of any reason not to pop it.

Lastly, I keep a small pocket knife in my right pocket, and that's it.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
My routine is a magic trick: I put in a bunch of plastic balls of different colors, have a child pick a card with a colored circle, and then I will reach in and pick out the right color ball and make the others vanish.

I was concerned about the noise as I would mostly be performing for kids.

I'm expecting to use a new one every performance. But I'm also hoping to provide the big ballooon as an add-on to a magic show, and get paid enough to cover the cost. While practicing, though, all the cost is on me. So I'm trying to get in and out to save money.

Also, by the time I get it all the way in, it's fairly deflated and I need to put in more air if I'm going to do anything more. So trying to poke my torso out so I can grab my leaf blower and add more air. Besides facilitating the act, it has opportunities for more interaction with the audience.

Ed
robholladay7
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of robholladay7
I need a cordless leaf blower. The one I bought won't blow the balloon up. Which model is the best ?
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I really like this fail video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3LzTB2AujE

The guy is so gentle and sweet. He says things like "Dang it!" and "Drat the luck!" He never uses an obscenity and appears to be really dismayed that it doesn't work. And he is worried about breaking the balloon so he won't be able to try again.

This is one of those fails where you wind up feeling concerned about the person. It is funny, but emotionally engaging.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2017, robholladay7 wrote:
I need a cordless leaf blower. The one I bought won't blow the balloon up. Which model is the best ?

I use a corded leaf blower. I've only tried one model of cordless, but it was barely strong enough to blow up the balloon.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
361 Posts

Profile of sileeni
Can anyone out there recommend the best balloons to do this act. Lots of different companies advertising them. Just wouldnt want to waste money on an inferior brand.

Thank you,

Paul.