The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Magicians clothing (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
beverage
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of beverage
I have some clothing from scottevest. It is multi picket stuff to contain modern tech gear. iPads iPhones etc. my blazer has loads of sown in pockets and channels. It does seem to lend itself to out tomfoolery! Www.scottevest.com . What do you think
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
If I remember correctly, this guy was looking for a deal on "Shark Tank".
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
I wish there was a more traditional looking vest. How do you like the blazer? When you carry your props in it, does it have awkward bulges?
nukraze
View Profile
New user
NJ
68 Posts

Profile of nukraze
I've always wondered whether there could be a market for clothing specifically designed for magicians. From what I've read/seen, most magicians will go about customizing or modifying their clothing on their own. Would love to get some feedback on whether other magicians would be interested in buying clothing that has been designed to cater to our pocket management needs or ordering from someone who can create custom attire.

-Tom
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
On another note. I perform a lot of walk around / Restaurant magic and do not wear my finest dress clothes there. It's a Mexican casual place and can get messy sometime and also I sometimes kneel on the floor next to the table for kids stuff, so I don't want to ruin my $100.00 dress slacks. Anyway I found some comfortable low cost Pants that have two front pockets on each side. They are made by Dockers. Also Tommy Bahama has some great Shorts that have dual side pockets and extra cargo type pockets as well. Very handy. Kohl's for the Dockers. Tommy Bahama you need to find a mens store / Tommy Bahama store / good department store ( Macy's).
Hope this helps. Pattrick
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Magicians tend to want to "pack in more, pack in more, pack in more" when they should be finding ways to "reduce, reduce, reduce".
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, nukraze wrote:
I've always wondered whether there could be a market for clothing specifically designed for magicians. From what I've read/seen, most magicians will go about customizing or modifying their clothing on their own. Would love to get some feedback on whether other magicians would be interested in buying clothing that has been designed to cater to our pocket management needs or ordering from someone who can create custom attire.

-Tom

The answer to your question is No. Magician's are cheap, very cheap. They will not spend money on tables, close-up cases, and cloths.

Every magician's needs will and are different. They are doing different tricks. All they really need is a good Taylor to make modifications to the clothing for the tricks they will be using. Being most will not even invest in proper attire to present themselves as an entertainer, there is really no need. Most also change their tricks frequently, therefore, one adjustment this week, cannot be used next week.

Also, none will buy 4 outfits that are the same, for long time availability of an outfit or suit. Then how will their body type stay the same over several years. Most will not workout and stay in shape, or watch their diet.

A certain attire can be a trademark for them. One magician I know, once bought a white suit. He had all his publicity photos taken in the white suit. It was his trademark, so when they seen a guy come in in a totally white suit, the client know it was the magician they hired. Problem, a year later, his suit wore out. And the manufacturer no longer made the white suit. So he went back to wearing business suits. He lost his trademark. Now he had nothing to set him above everyone else at events he was performing at.

I do think a seamstress can make some good money making pocket dividers with pockets attached, that fit in suits and pants. I made my own, but most will not even ask their wife's to make them. But maybe it is they have not worked out their close-up act or tricks they wish to perform in a set as of yet. If not when will they.

I had a divider that held a ring, Jumping Gems sticks, Half dollar trick and a rope knot in my side pocket. My breast pocket held another divider, that had 3 pockets. In my other side pocket, I had a divider to switch decks and stacks playing cards for certain tricks. Behind that I had Glorpy as a pocket hanky.

In my pant pocket, I had small pockets attached to the inner pocket. It held coin trick sets and other small items. My "card in wallet" wallet, also had 3 dollar bill tricks and a prediction trick in it. It was in my inner coat pocket. I even had an inner pocket on the other side of the jacket sewn in, so I could do a jumbo card trick.

It is not hard if you learn and know your tricks very well, then pick the proper attire for your events that you perform at. That choice I leave to you of course.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
I agree with Frank, and I should have added that the slacks I talked about are really handy for keeping pocketed items separate, like gaffs and different coins, cards and such. However I work a weekly restaurant gig and get a lot of regulars so it can be necessary to carry something extra for them too.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I have an e-vest for years (jacket w/zip off sleeves). I wear while traveling. It has 27 pockets so I can wear it and it works as a second carry on bag on the plane ha ha... But, most of the pockets are a bit wonky to get in and out of... it would not work for magic. Some of their other stuff might work though. It is made very well, very durable.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I can't even imagine carrying enough stuff for 27 pockets! 2 decks...one gaffed one straight, coins in a purse, wallet, wand, maybe ring and string. How the hell do you remember what's in which of your 27 pockets?
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I use it as a carry on bag while traveling... I have never thought of using it for magic Smile
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On May 29, 2015, Frank Starsini wrote:
Magicians tend to want to "pack in more, pack in more, pack in more" when they should be finding ways to "reduce, reduce, reduce".

Exceptionally good advice!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
If you're looking for something with a lot of pockets, check out a fly fishing and a photographer's vest.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I'm not interested in Packing in more and more...I'm mostly interested in whether anyone has one of the dress blazers with pockets that look very much like topit and pockets handy enough to handle regular stuff without having to go to just outer jacket pockets for props. Looks less bulky and looks just what we would order from a clothier.

https://www.scottevest.com/shop/mens-jac......en.shtml
Anyone own one of these Jackets and how it works for you?

Thanks,
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stephon johnson, just posted this yesterday, take a look, you never know.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=34
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Thank You Bill! That would be handy and not to expensive and looks also would be good attached inside the lid of a closeup case too.

I also noticed Scottevest “hoodie” as well!
Notice that it has zip open horizontal pockets that could be used to ditch like a topit.
https://www.scottevest.com/shop/mens-hoo......en.shtml

Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Thought I'd add this because I still buy from SCOTTeVEST.com

The blazer and several jacket and vests have large tablet pockets that open forwards

They're perfectly positioned as Topit vanishers, and I've already used the blazer's pocket for precisely that purpose

I trained using Ammar's design, so I can vouch for SCOTTeVEST jacket's practicality as a substitute
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
105 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
If you only need a simple topit design for sewing into a vest, I just posted one on my site: https://buy.bobmillermagic.biz/magic-1/11-vestopit-pattern
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2023, Avocat wrote:
Thought I'd add this because I still buy from SCOTTeVEST.com

The blazer and several jacket and vests have large tablet pockets that open forwards

They're perfectly positioned as Topit vanishers, and I've already used the blazer's pocket for precisely that purpose

I trained using Ammar's design, so I can vouch for SCOTTeVEST jacket's practicality as a substitute

I had not been aware of the products from scottevest.com before now , but my first thought looking at the large interior pocket on the lower jacket was "topit". Seems like it could definitely be useful.

https://vimeo.com/648995409

Click here to view attached image.