The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Ball and Cone Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Can anyone tell me what the dimensions are of the cone in the Vernon Ball and Cone routine?
Also that of the ball itself?

The dimensions are described in one of the Vernon Trilogy Books.

Obviously it's the volume with the "Ball and Cone" effect. Smile

I don't have the book but I would like to start making the cone about the same size.

Thanks,
Frank

If you could also email me, I would be grateful.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Frank, I think the routine (and therefore the cone dimensions) is in "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic". Was this re-released as part of a trilogy? I think a lot of people might have the DVBoM, and might be able to help here.

As I recall, the balls were large, very close to regular billiard ball size, and the cone and the moves were made accordingly.

Hopefully someone will be able to get you this info before I get to my library tonight.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I believe he used full size billiard balls because that was the point! They are too big to manipulate. Actually they work perfectly for the Master Move.

The cone is large enough to just contain the ball fully. About three times the height. The top is open and able to support the ball balanced there. You want it big enough to easily balance.

I am doing this from memory, because my library is still packed away in boxes, as are my cones.

Kirk G

UPDATE: Feb 16 2004

Found the book. Had the wife cleaning out the garage while I read magic. Sigh! A wonderful life!

The balls are 2 1/8 inches in diameter.

The cone is 6 inches high and a bottom diameter of 3 1/4 inches. The small hole at the top is half an inch in diameter. I think I made mine closer to an inch, but haven't found the cones yet. IMPORTANT The cone will depend on the size of the balls used, but when the cone is inverted (large opening upward) there will be a space of at least an inch between the ball and edge of the cone.

Kirk G