The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: What is "best": Phantom Deck or Omni Deck? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
I've been using both as and ending to my acr as well as a standalone effect.

What do YOU think work best, Phantom or Omni? And why?
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
331 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I've used Omni and the Phantom deck at gigs and they both get WTF! reactions. My switch is the same for the Omni and Phantom deck but placing the chosen card in the deck is where it differs. I think to the spectator, placing the card in the back rather than the front really doesn't matter. The reveal is the only notable diffrence to me and it does come down to personal prefrence. I like to be able to spread the cards with the Phantom deck and hand stacks out to the spectators. I feel both the Phantom and Omni are great, it really comes down to personal prefrence. Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I also have (and have used both together and apart). I feel the reactions are just as strong with either one. If I were to guess, the out come of this would be a dead heat (or 50/50 split) depending on personal pref and style. As for the how and why... I like to end an ACR with the Phantom deck and put them away. If the spec asks to see those, I hand out the Omni and say something about how they sometimes get hot during a workout and stick together a little. Smile It is more of a throw away line than a magic move (similar to a sucker box in Okito) then I take it back and may or may not (depending on several factors) hand them the Phantom cards.

On a side note, as for my experience using them "secretly" within the same routine in the different combinations. I feel using BOTH together is a bit of overkill and actually takes away a bit from the others strength. (which differs from why I originally bought both as I intended to use them both along with my Omni Pen for this "All Clear" routine I was thinking of. I guess we can't all bat 1000 Smile . I can still use them all at different points in a gig and get great reactions plus people "cross talking" later about what I did and did not make become clear. Just my 2 cents on the 3 though.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I have never performed Omni Deck but have seen friends doing it and it KILLS. Its a show stopper.
I have perform Phantom Deck and it get really Strong reactions.
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thank you all!

The reason that I started this topic was because I think there are pro's and con's with both "props".

Phantom deck
Pros
- Very strong when spectator inserts the card themselves
- The reveal can be done from the middle of the deck
- You can spread through the deck and slowly reveal the card

Cons
- More expensive
- Harder to pocket manage
- Will wear out
- I feel I have to pick up the deck from the spectators hands and spread through the deck to show the reveal.. Picking up the deck lessens the effect imho.

Omni Deck
Pros
- Extremely easy to use/handle
- Cheap(er)
- Very easy to pocket manage
- Will last a LONG time
- Very hands off. When the deck is in the spectators hand they can pick up the deck themselves and punctuate the effect.

Cons
- Spectator cannot insert the card themselves
- Easier to deconstruct for a spectator since it is a solid block (maybe).

Thoughts?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
One of my favorite close-up magicians James Brown performs the Omni Deck with a nice twist. When the reveal happens in the
hands of the spectator they are staring at their signed card ,face up, which appears to be imbedded in the plastic block. James plucks the card out which again looks like it comes out of the center of the Omni Deck. Double Wammy!!
He explains the handling on his Professional Opportunist DVD set.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hi all,

I’ve been playing around with the Phantom Deck for quite a while now, and I developed a 3 card selection routine, that enables you to bring out the Phantom Deck prior to recieving the selected cards. From there you move into a series om magical revelations of the the first two chosen cards. Ending with the 3rd card being revealed the Phantom Deck style. This routine enables you to bring the Pahntom Deck out in the open a long time prior to the final reveal - and do a lot of strong visual magic. I like to share it with you here. BTW to avoid all the ususal remarks - let me add: “Yes. I did get Vanishing Inc’s permission to share this routine on themagiccafe”. No worries - it’s all free - hope you enjoy:

https://youtu.be/LMNfLjM8rlE

Best regards

Jan
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
151 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
Old thread but I prefer omni, easier to grab in my pocket when switching and easier to hand out for inspection (with phantom theres more a chance someone will bend/drop the cards)
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Omni is the "worker" for me for reasons already stated above.

At trade shows, I used to perform Regal Royal Flush with the Omni. I used the Paul Harris variant with a signed selection that appears on top, middle, bottom and middle again.

The other four cards were custom-printed with the company logo.

And here's the kicker - virtually ALL of Regal Royal can be performed with the Omni deck, so I'd ring it in (with the four logo-cards) while the spectator's signing the selection.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2021, Vraagaard wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve been playing around with the Phantom Deck for quite a while now, and I developed a 3 card selection routine, that enables you to bring out the Phantom Deck prior to recieving the selected cards. From there you move into a series om magical revelations of the the first two chosen cards. Ending with the 3rd card being revealed the Phantom Deck style. This routine enables you to bring the Pahntom Deck out in the open a long time prior to the final reveal - and do a lot of strong visual magic. I like to share it with you here. BTW to avoid all the ususal remarks - let me add: “Yes. I did get Vanishing Inc’s permission to share this routine on themagiccafe”. No worries - it’s all free - hope you enjoy:

Best regards

Jan

Thanks for the kind feedback (some of you asked in the private messages about the explanation). Answer: Yes the second spectators selection, goes in between the top card and the first spectators selection). Which should then be more evident when you watch the tutorial below.

madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
Ill go with OMNI.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As a Professional Corporate Strolling Magic Entertainer as mentioned of course its personal preference for each deck but I get incredible reactions from the Phantom Deck, the slow appearance of their signed card is incredibly strong and the fact they get to handle the clear cards is just such a strong ending. I find the switch is done so fast and easy from the back pocket in an off moment.. and way more effective and natural for me.The after show comments on this effect alone is proof to me anyway that its very strong and people remember the deck vanishing in their hand etc..
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1207 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Hmm, not sure which I prefer.

I do think the Omni deck is less likely to be back tracked.

During an Omni routine a card is apparently placed into the centre of a deck that then turns out to be solid.

Whereas in a Phantom routine a card is placed into the centre of a deck which is of course possible when the cards are all individual (albeit plastic).
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
340 Posts

Profile of dedikc
I'm stuck with my Clear cards.

What I dislike with the omnideck is that they can feel that the cards are not moving, that's why I prefer the phantom deck.
But, the Omni deck is so good for the professional magician that struggle with the pocket management.

That's why I developped the clear cards. just 5 blocks, they can feel the card moving and is Very easy to pocket manage.

Just my 2 cents
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2024, dedikc wrote:
I'm stuck with my Clear cards.

What I dislike with the omnideck is that they can feel that the cards are not moving, that's why I prefer the phantom deck.
But, the Omni deck is so good for the professional magician that struggle with the pocket management.

That's why I developped the clear cards. just 5 blocks, they can feel the card moving and is Very easy to pocket manage.

Just my 2 cents

Do you mean they cannot feel the slight sliding the cards would naturally do?
umutK
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of umutK
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Hi all!

Omni is easier to be swithched but when you reveal omni deck. it is 100% you will get questions like "where is the deck". so you need to have an answer for this. Phantom does not have this problem.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2024, umutK wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Hi all!

Omni is easier to be swithched but when you reveal omni deck. it is 100% you will get questions like "where is the deck". so you need to have an answer for this. Phantom does not have this problem.

The answer is that's the magic, the deck now becomes a solid block.
Check out Bafflingbob.com