The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Anyone tried writing an actual 'backstory' for their character? (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:
I mean, has anyone tried writing their persona's/character's backstory up in literary form (short story, memoir, autobiography, etc)?

Might such an exercise be worthwhile?

In my humble opinion, yes, I believe it would be well worth the effort.

I love doing magic with a story. I believe it makes the magic more memorable. I especially like bringing in historical references so it makes the spectator think, "Hmm, maybe this could actually be true."

Here is a routine I came up with based upon Pop Hayden's Teleportation Transmitter routine. Not that there is anything wrong with his routine, I just wanted to put my touches on it. And yes, I did license the routine and the rights to build his device from him.

Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I LOVE that the oferwheming replies are pro-backstory.
If you're new to this I think the "secret" is to imaginatively brainstorm on your forming character without any judgement.
If you're timid about giong into detail, picture the "coming attractions" for a movie about him/her in your mind, you can go deeper later.
bdungey
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bdungey
This is a worthwhile thread to read - thank you all for adding in. I'm JUST starting to write mine...
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
On character and story with the Teleportation Device:

https://pophaydn.blog/2019/05/10/the-teleportation-device-2/
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
I see Pop Haydn has already replied and linked to the notes he makes available, but I also very highly recommend his episode of the Magical Thinking podcast for those interested in this topic.
He talks quite a bit about his character, why he abandoned his previous persona, and how important it is to him that the character believes what he's saying, even if the things being said make no sense.

The podcast had many stellar episodes, but I found this one the be among the best of them and a fabulous listen.

https://soundcloud.com/magicalthinkingpo......op-haydn
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
587 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
My love is bizarre magic. Since most of those effects require storytelling and acting, I think a backstory is essential.
I have been developing mine for years. LoL
I think it should also be a work in progress.