The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Return Of The (not so) Youthful Curmudgeon! - by Paul Chosse :: Boomerang Band :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Question:

Hi guys, check this site
The boomerang band is taught here. Some dealers are selling it for $5.

1st post to question / link:

Also, I have known the grip, but It doesn't roll back.

2nd post:

Try this. Instead of starting from the 1st finger and pulling back, start from the pinkie with a firm grip and pull forward and hook it to the 1st finger. Everything is the same except you start from the pinkie. This method should work.

Third post:

Didn't Chris Kenner come up with this effect? Or at least popularize it? I have heard of magicians that can have the rubberband roll back and up their foot and leg! I have got to see that someday

Paul's response:

As I recall this effect was originally described in an Intermission by Charlie Miller and popularized by Mike Weber in the early 80's...
Best, PSC

Fourth post:

Hi, Paul,

It may be apocryphal, but legend has it that the trick was a myth that Miller and others made up specifically to bother a certain magician. They told of how they witnessed a magician in Mexico doing this and that it completely baffled them. Next thing you know, Weber actually created a method and started doing it. Have you heard anything like this?

Paul's response:

Hey there, TCR!
Seems to me there is some truth to that little bit of apocrypha, changing it then from apocrypha to... What?

I'm pretty sure, though, that Charlie actually describes a method - I'll have to check my notes and let you know.

At any rate, Mike's method is his own and I saw him do this in Pengrove, CA. at an annual 1 Day convention in, I think, 1983. He shot the band about 12 feet DOWNHILL and it rolled BACK UP to him! This looked great!

Best, PSC