The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: MEssado Ring Jumping Link -any hints (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I'm really struggling with the jumping link. It sometimes hits, but more often than not misses. Seems to be pure luck, so I know I must be not doing something right. I've tried fiddling with various finger positins, speed, strength, angle etc - but still missing.

Any hints?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Note, this is the one early in the DVD with all the rings hanging - not the later far more difficult 'thrown' link.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
It's a knack for sure. I hit it maybe 65% of the time. It's been a while but I find when I keep my elbows tucked in, forearm at 2 o clock, wrist tilted up a bit, and then a quick up and down flick of the wrist seems to work best. Can't remember if this is what he teaches on the DVD so not sure if this is of any use but it kind of works for me.

I recall even Messado struggling with it on one of the live performances so even for him, it won't always hit.

Good luck!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm not too happy with things that I can't get near 100% . I'll keep working on it.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

I wonder if the routine is majorly affected by using an alternative, less flashy work-around at that point whilst I try and get the jumping link sorted? It's be nice to be bale to get past that point and have something useable.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Well, I've hit on something that's just doubled my current hit rate, so it's looking good Smile

If I twist the bottom ring so as to make it perpendicular to the top ring (right angle intersection) looking right down from my thumb, get them perfectly still, then jerk them up but concentrate upon the down motion rather than the upward, then it works more often. I think this might really help - it seems one of big problems was the angle of the bottom ring relative my right hand.

Perseverance and slow, methodical, incremental changes, pays off! Wish me good luck as I pursue this - it's a nice routine and I'd like to get it looking neat.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Still a fairly luck based endeavour, though - even though it's better.

More tips anyone?
4ofclubs
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 4ofclubs
I just don't do the move. I perform a different link and move on. The routine is very powerful without the knacky move. Missing the link, which happens far too often, just ruins the routine. I always get great reactions from the routine and I have never performed it with this difficult link.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Thanks for the input, 4of clubs.

How long did you spend trying to get the move before moving on?
Do you still practice it or have you abandoned it as a waste of effort?

It really irritates me that I cant do this move. Its nice looking, and very magical, and Messado seems to imply its very easy on the DVD ...
4ofclubs
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 4ofclubs
I practiced the move quite a bit. I tried different subtle techniques which didn't really help. I found I was successful maybe thirty percent. In watching Joshua's live performance I questoned whether the move was maybe a little too much. Watch the spectators facial reactions. They just don't seem to appreciate the move. Nevertheless, I love the routine and perform it quite frequently, just without the knacky link. It always gets great reactions and I never have to worry about missing that knacky link. I only wish I had purchased the silver rings when they produced just 100 sets. They sold out before I was aware of their availability. I wish they would manufacture another lot of the silver rings. Good luck with the routine. It's a great effect.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Cheers 4ofclubs Smile. I wonder how long it took MrMessado to get it down? Or whether he still fluffs it ...

One thing I did think of doing was trying it without drawing attention to it, then if it fails just acting as if I was showing that they are all metal and solid and using a different link or going straight into an unlink.
4ofclubs
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 4ofclubs
Terrible Wizard I admire your perseverance. I just don't feel comfortable performing a move that I'm not confident in. I will play around in practice with the move but not in performance. Best of luck with it and keep us posted on your success.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
But when it hits, it's pretty spectacular. I think if you miss you can play it off saying something self deprecating (jokingly...as though you didn't expect it to hit anyway) and then just do a different type of link as if it was all part of the plan. It's worth risking as it's no big deal if missed since they don't really know what's going to happen anyway. Just my thought at least.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Have you found any subtleties that increase your hit rate, Pendelton?
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Getting a bit better. I've hit upon aso etching that might make a difference ... Trying it out. Smile
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Yesterday I was doing really well, thought I might have cracked it - was hitting pretty often, doing five or six in a row without a miss, just thinking it was going to be a matter of practice ... But today, miss after miss! What on earth happened! Ugh ...

I hate it when I can't get a move down. But my stubborn streak won't let me quit - I'll still me doing this in a decade's time at this rate! Grumble ... Moan ... Grumble ...
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

I think I've almost got it ... Smile. Hit rate massivley improved, and I can get it 8 or so times in a row. Wrist position, pinky position, timing, backwards motion, upwards thrust ... All are subtle variables that need to be 'just so'. But now I just need to work on building muscle memory and making all those variables unconscious and instinctive.

My rings look seriously battered and flaky and chipped, though. No matter. If I perfect this routine I'll invest in another set if I have to, but I don't think the bruised look will matter often.

Well ... Let's see what the next week begins (feeling hopeful) Smile