The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Andy Nyman's INSANE (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I did a search on the Café and found no topics on Andy Nyman's Insane. To those of you who own it, do share your thoughts on this effect.

I have been performing this routine, it was very powerful when I saw it on the DVD. I as a magician reacted crazily. However, when I perform it to lay people, their reactions weren't the way I thought it would be. I am assuming it is just the way I performed this particular effect. But would love to hear your thoughts on this if you are doing this too.

If you DO NOT KNOW what this trick is about, it is basically a type of ACAAN effect. Andy Nyman's approach to this trick is really really clever.

Imagine being able to SHOW the spectator the PREDICTION BEFORE the trick happens.

Looking forward to hear from you guys. Cheers =)
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Ive heard its not very good at all.
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Hi there,

I'm surprised to see this classified as a type of ACAAN, because to me it's certainly an open prediction. I will admit that you could present it as ACAAN if you don't just have the spectator choose a card, but have him/her name a number and then count down to that number and ... - you could sure do that, but I don't see, how that would add to the effect. I actually present it as open prediction and I talk about how as a magician you never tell your audience beforehand what is going to happen, but how I will break that rule and tell them _exactly_ what is going to happen so they don't miss a thing and can pay attention to the open prediction that is in my hand and visible all the time. There is a certain build-up.
Moreover, I use a blank deck (which the spectators cannot handle before, of course), because some smart person will always come up with a remark such as: "Oh, all your cards are the ten of diamonds/six of spades/ace of clubs/...!". Then turn over the blank deck and fry them! It works very well for me ...
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I have seen it and never thought much about it. Just an open prediction. Maybe it is just not my style... But it just does not seem to be a strong trick.

But as far as the audience reactions go, I have had other tricks that blew me away and the audience cared nothing for. And I have some old, simple stuff that they love. Sometimes you got to roll with the punches and let your audience reactions guide you.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Karsten, wow Blank Cards! Yes I think this would be quite the killer. You've nailed it I think. I would try it and let you know how it goes. Pardon me, yes it is more of an open prediction than an ACAAN. You are right. Thanks for your thoughts. This will go well to flow with my Spreadwave, Mental Photography and Blizzard routine hahahaa.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, Tukaram wrote:
Sometimes you got to roll with the punches and let your audience reactions guide you.

Word! Smile so true.
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
I have found the same thing in music, some of the songs I love to play the audience just don't care about, then they love some songs that bore me to tears but I have to play them.

I think it was George Carlin who said 'Comedians write and audiences edit', it's so true. If the audience doesn't care for it it's out, if they like it it's in. Smile
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Where can I see a video of this trick being performed?
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Hi TomasKancyper,

I did something revolutionary and totally unexpected to find a video: I went to Youtube and searched for "Insane Andy Nyman" and look what
turned up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UzdEPbD1ak ;-)
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, KarstenMeyerhoff wrote:
Hi TomasKancyper,

I did something revolutionary and totally unexpected to find a video: I went to Youtube and searched for "Insane Andy Nyman" and look what
turned up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UzdEPbD1ak ;-)

Wow. Who is that guy? Didn't he just repeat everything that was mentioned in the trailer?
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
736 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Does anyone else use this trick? It’s decent for Zoom. I do have issues with a somewhat unfortunate noise as the cards are separated though. This seems inevitable, to some extent, due to the nature of the gimmick. Reminds me of David Regal’s Modern Transportation in a way. Patter can be used to cover but I’d like to reduce/eliminate it. Be interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions/alternatives (beyond ‘do a different trick’)?
KMagic
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of KMagic
I used to do this one but found some others to replace it. I like smaller packet tricks
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1717 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I have this, but I must admit that I've never performed it. It is a very clean Open Prediction using a full deck, so I wouldn't consider it a packet trick. Having met Andy a couple of times, I'm sure he prefers this over other routines for the direct method and clarity of effect.

If you perform this one with a suitable build-up, I think it would be very impressive when performed for non-magicians.

Marty

P.S. Jonathan Kamm has a very cool impromptu version of "Insane". Personally, I think Andy's handling is slightly stronger for laypeople, though, because you don't handle the cards as much:

dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of dj
Here is my impromptu Open Prediction:
https://youtu.be/N38mmZ_6gMU
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1717 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Very smooth, DJ. I like your handling a lot.

Marty
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2023, martydoesmagic wrote:
Very smooth, DJ. I like your handling a lot.

Marty

Thanks Marty.