The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Anything interesting invented this year? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2015, Xiqual wrote:
Henry Hay's "The Amateur Magicians Handbook" is still one of the best magic books available.
Reads well, and has the best advice about sleight of hand over gimmicks that can be found.
James

I'm not saying don't learn from books, but maybe some newer books. As much as I liked AMH growing up, it was not concise in every respect. Thumb tips were made of metal when that book was published. There have been some advancments is my point.
Official Thread Killer
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
With the utmost respect, and I am being sincere. Insulting a 15 year old and telling him the classics probably does him the least service in trying to reach him through an electronic medium, regardless of the tone of his first post.

He is 15, he tells you he is bored, and he is seeing nothing new. I liked the advice of recommending Joshua's new book. I like the idea of trying to find a mentor. Wenzelo, are there are any magic shops, clubs or groups in your area that you could join? Spending time with other magicians in real life that you can learn from and practice with is a great way to discover what is old, new, and interesting.

I'm 51 and I treasured reading through Amateur's Magicians Handbook. But would I tell a bored 15 year old who was interested in magic to start with that? No. First I might find out if he was interested in stage or close-up. Cards or doves, etc.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
If you're bored because you've seen it all, feel free to move on.

Not everybody has to do magic.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

I totally disagree. The dumbing down of magic is one of the biggest reasons for its trivialization and the clones we are seeing on a daily basis. Reading requires one to think and use his imagination, an essential quality for a magician. The classics of magic are classics for a reason.

YES!!!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
705 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
If it seems like the first post was somebody just trying to reach the first 50 then what about the second post? LOL
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
705 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
It does seem like the kid is getting teased a little bit to be honest with you though. But, to first post that you're 15, new to magic, and where to start, and then post about nothing new or current effects being adaptions to others almost seems like 2 different people talking. Wenzelo, can you explain a little more on what you are trying or want to do?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
It seems some people post just to pull other people's chains.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, NYCJoePitt wrote:

...I'm 51 and I treasured reading through Amateur's Magicians Handbook. But would I tell a bored 15 year old who was interested in magic to start with that? No. First I might find out if he was interested in stage or close-up. Cards or doves, etc.

To paraphrase Henry Hay, I love magic and want those who are just getting into it to learn to love it too. Therefore, why wouldn't I recommend what I and many others believe to be the best text ever written on the subject for beginners as well as experienced performers?
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Thank you, I will look at this Amateur Magicians Handbook. I have borrowed a book from a friend called "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" and I like its concepts. I'm slowly falling in love with magic
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I will be releasing updated improvement to Scarne's classic Triple Coincidence routine! Coming soon!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
That's a great book too! don't believe the hype about DVDs and "visual learner" . I believe, unless you are blind, reading is a "visual" experience.
Good luck to you on your journey!
James

Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, Wenzelo wrote:
Thank you, I will look at this Amateur Magicians Handbook. I have borrowed a book from a friend called "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" and I like its concepts. I'm slowly falling in love with magic
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6781 Posts

Profile of videoman
How many 15 year olds just beginning in magic start off by thinking that they want to study the classics in order to get a proper foundation from which to grow?
I know everyone reading this did, but it's not typical. Smile
I think he's received some great advice and hopefully it will inspire him to continue.
But if it doesn't stick he'll be back to video games in a couple months.
If he's got a decent magic shop anywhere nearby he should spend some time there and see what happens.

AFA new tricks being invented, most any trick should be new to him so he's got about a hundred years worth of tricks to check out.
I wish him much success in finding what he likes and works best for him.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
If you want to learn some classics and many variants of them, check out the Worlds Greatest Magic DVD's. Pick the subject and get the download even. I loved these when I was learning. The classics are classics for a reason. There is some drop dead brilliant magic to be found. Just ask, I suppose.
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2015, Daz Buckley wrote:
If you want to learn some classics and many variants of them, check out the Worlds Greatest Magic DVD's. Pick the subject and get the download even. I loved these when I was learning. The classics are classics for a reason. There is some drop dead brilliant magic to be found. Just ask, I suppose.

thank you
Nick Singh
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
133 Posts

Profile of Nick Singh
Wenzelo, you might want go check out Mark Wilson's complete course in magic. It's very affordable and it's filled with the foundations of magic from cards,coins, silks and stage.

I read through that book in my first year and practised some of the routines as much as I could. I still perform his ace routine nowadays.

With regards to your original question, the year just started so it's hard to say. However, last year was crazy!
Magician and Emcee in Singapore - www.nick.com.sg
Youtube channel of travel videos and podcasts - www.youtube.com/user/blackchilliwing/videos
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Thank you, I will have a look
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
Read the chapter on presentation in Expert Card Technique and in Card College. There are a lot of gems in old books.
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, Seethings wrote:
Read the chapter on presentation in Expert Card Technique and in Card College. There are a lot of gems in old books.

thank you
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
I tried in my last reply to give you some constructive advice. This time I'll answer your question.

No, there is very little " new" or "interesting" this year. Or any other year to be honest. There is a whole lot of re-hashed stuff that isn't credited to the creators, there is a whole heap of stuff that is just plain useless and silly and designed to prise a fools money from his hands, and every now and again there is a little bit of gold.

But this year is no different than last year and probably not a whole lot different to next year. For whilst magicians keep asking " What's new" there will be a marketer prepared to find something, anything, to offer you.

Maybe ask " What is good " instead.