The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Tricks using dice. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Baelrath
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Baelrath
Hoi

Only recently been active here and only into magic since about 9 months.
One of my main hobby's is boardgames. Recently stumbled upon some magic with dice. I never thought about combining the two. But I have loads of dice at home in my boardgame room.
Tried to use the search function that brought up some tenyo dice stuff(crash dice and flash dice), but it seems I am not really good with the search function.

So the question is simple I am looking for some easy material with dice. It me be normal or gaffed doesn't matter. It may require practice. Anyone who can send me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Maybe should mention that all my gamers are used to dice. So any gaffed dice or trick should take into account they know dice. Like that the sum of each side always equals 7 and common stuff like that.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I think you would be well served with a Dr Sacks routine. There are many out there but the one that got me introduced to it was the recent Crooked by Ronnie Ramin. It's a cool routine that does take some practice and time to work out the orientation of everything. I took notes when watching the DVD to keep it straight but wasn't too difficult.

Also would work well with the gamer background you mentioned. Like you said, they know that the sum of each side equals 7 so this plays right into that. Check it out here:

http://www.trcky.com/crooked.html

Good luck!
Baelrath
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Baelrath
Thanks looks good.

Learned something very slightly resembling to this from scamschool(I know blasphemy). Don't remember which one, it was a trick not explained but could figure it out by looking. It changed the 6/3 in 4/5 with showing the backs unchanged. Then again with 3/2 changing in 4/1 and ending with the 4/1 changing in 1/4. I learned this trick for a while. But for me the move was sometimes a bit to obvious maybe this will help me get better at it.

Anyway this looks cleaner and more complete.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
A one cup routine, using a die . Impromptu is best, but will take more practice than using a chop cup.

Hudson
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1754 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The original Dr Sack routine can be found in Bruce Elliott's book "Classic Secrets of Magic", which also covers a great deal of other useful stuff.

There's a chapter on dice (9 effects) in Self-Working Table Magic by Karl Fulves.

Barry
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
One of my "go to" walk around effects is James Lewis' version of the Dr. Sack dice routine.
Baelrath
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Baelrath
Thanks for all the tips.

I think dice stacking is not really for me.

Will look into Dr Sacks routine for sure, will also look into some tenyo stuff like Tower of dice and Flash dice(although seeing the dice from 1-6 and then 6-1 after two shakes kinda gave away how it works), maybe crash dice. Never done anything with cups or chop cup, although I like looking at those routines.

Kabbalah thanks for the link that allot of info to digest.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The Dai Vernon Climax to a Dice Routine is excellent. It's fun to do and it is an audience pleaser. I use it as a finale to Dr. Sack, or as a complete routine of its own.

For a slightly different sort of effect, try Daryl's Dicey Dots: a small stick removes the spots from a die. Quick, easy and visual.

Consider also Chink-a-Chink.

I learned all the above from Daryl's Fooler Doolers series, and have been using them for more than 10 years.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I would look a Axel Hecklau's Just a Cup
http://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/j......l?type=N

A little expensive but a great routine and great props.
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
567 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I do Matrix with four big dice and a cup.
Romano911
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Romano911
I second Magnus' recommendation of Daryl's material.
Commonly known as Mariano Blanco.
Baelrath
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Baelrath
Chink-a-chink with dice.
Dice matrix both look promising.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1754 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I've seen three-in-hand-one-in-pocket done with dice, finishing with a large one.
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
Aldo ColumbinI has two DVD called Cards and Dice 1 and 2.I OWN These Anand all effects are explained by Aldo himself. Just Google Aldo Colimbo I and you will find them
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!