The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Tenyo Classics no more! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
In 1979 I bought my first Tenyo item, since then, many others. It's a shame (in my opinion) that recent years have seen some lame tricks from them. I always believed that most Tenyo fans used to love the ingenuity and mechanical methods built in to the props that made them so fascinating. Nowadays I find some of the effects just use tried and trusted magic methods for the effect and just dress it up with a plastic prop.
I find things like the Vanishing Point is nothing more than a standard P--M, in fact very similar to an Ali Bongo trick I owned in the 70s, but now with all the card backdrop and a plastic stand (both of which could be eliminated).
Don't get me wrong, some of the props are awesome, Prison Box, Mystery China Box, Sidetrack, Ribbon Forever,Ninja Experiment and others.

I guess I'm just waiting for another of these lovely props that do all the work for you to come along from Tenyo in the future!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Why don't you buy "Magical MRI"?
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Already bought by my kids for my Christmas present this year so I've got a few days to wait, so now I can't wait to see this one!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

One thing you should understand regarding what Tenyo markets and why, is that their main customer base are laymen in Japan, not magicians in the west. So, they put out items that they think their main customer base will most likely purchase. And the tastes of that customer base change over time. A savvy company changes their products to meet their customers' interests. At the moment, big hunks of plastic don't seem to be what Japanese laymen want to buy as far as magic tricks are concerned.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Do any professional magicians perform Tenyo tricks?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Yes.