The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Pom poms vs sponge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
drgnjames123
View Profile
New user
delaware
32 Posts

Profile of drgnjames123
Do any of you out there, or I should say, have any of you out there tried pom poms instead of sponge balls? I have small hands and it is very hard for me to palm certain things like small coins. I have tried palming certain size objects like plastic balls and pom poms but no go. I don't like ordering online and don't have any stores to buy magic. I have 1.5" pom poms I use for a "basic" cup and ball routine but would like to advance a bit. Are there any self-working tricks that don't use palming? I know palming is one of the biggest sleights out there but I've tried it and it doesn't fit well for me. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, James.
James
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No,
Buy the sponge balls, nothing else works. It is not palming it is misdirection that makes this work and the compressibility that helps.

For Cups and Balls you can use pom poms for the complete routine, about 7/8" for the working balls and 2" or 3" for the final load balls.

Yes there are self-working tricks that do not use palming in coins and card tricks. We call them beginner magic. Professionals sometimes use tricks like "silver, copper, brass" and "Hopping Half" coin tricks.

If you do not like ordering on line, visit a magic shop, there are a lot in your area of the country. It makes a fun Saturday and they will like you not wanting to order on line, but help save their store.

Bill
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have heard the old "my hands are too small for palming" excuse so many times it isn't funny. Max Malini had hands that were so small that he actually could not cover a poker-sized playing card with them. But he still could palm.

Unless your hands are smaller than an old-fashioned silver dollar, you can still palm a sponge ball.

It isn't size. It's acting and misdirection that makes it work.

You should try to find a good magic teacher. A good teacher will show you how to palm. When I was a kid, I thought I would never be able to do it. Then I learned that I was working with coins that were actually too small!!!

There are lots of magic clubs in your part of the country. Join one and find a good teacher.

It will be worth the investment.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I never palm sponge balls. Misdirection is what I use and it is great. I do some clipping and some similar stuff, but rarely palm.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
They make all sizes of sponge balls. If you want to know a bit more about sponge balls and cups get the Hampton Ridge video called 25 tricks with the cups and balls. Troy Hoosier goes through a couple different routines and one involves using the sponge balls to pull an effect similar to the Three Shell Game. I don't do any of the things on the video as I have my own pieced together routine, but I like Troy's teaching of the sponge balls, so it has a spot on my shelf.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.