The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: My review of MagicBase Marketing Software (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
So there I was studying the advertisement for this software on http://www.bobmillermagic.biz. Could I possibly learn how to use this software given that I can barely access my email. Even though I'm only 27, I'm pretty bad with computers. Nevertheless, this software looked amazing and very helpful to a working magician. So I took the plunge and ordered it.

First let me start by saying that Bob Miller has been very helpful. He has answered all my e-mails promptly and even called me to discuss the software prior to my purchase. First rate customer service indeed.

I should also mention that the Users Guide for the software is available on the website. You can download it for free to see the details of what you will be able to accomplish with this software. The advertisment on the site is also very detailed and will give you an overview of the capabilities of this package.

That said, I played with the software for 2 weeks prior to writing this review so I could give it a fair shake. I even read all 100+ pages of the Users Guide so that I could explore the more advanced features available.

Bottom line, while there are a few things I would like to change, I think this software is invaluable to the working performer. This software alone can elevate you to the level of a professional performer, at least in terms of marketing.

The software basically consists of several screens all of which have a different function. The first is the "Customers" screen where you will enter all of your client information, event names, and show general show information for each event. This is also the screen where you will enter all the financial information such as fees etc. A really nice feature also calculates your mileage rates and automatically adds this to the total fee. The beauty of this software is that all the screens are linked so that information you type on this screen for example will get automatically included in the contract or letter etc that you decide to send to the client.

From the Customer screen, you can access several other screens including the Routines screen. This screen is where you can record all of your available tricks by type, length, props needed, sourch and price. The information entered in this screen will be used by the Show Planner screen when you are planning out each of your shows for a given event/customer.

The Show Planner screen is very easy to use. Basically, it lets you chose the material you will use for each show. Because you have already entered all of your material in the Routines screen, all you have to do is use a drop down menu to choose the tricks you would like and the order in which you would like to perform them. The rest of the information including type of trick, length and props is automatically added. A nice feature also calculates the total time of the show given the material you have chosen. Also nice, because each trick is categorized by type, you can easily pick a variety of material that is diverse and not repetitive of the same type (ie. vanishes, comedy, rope etc).

This screen also allows you to record standard shows if you do the same show every time. Doing so will allow you to easily plan future shows by just selecting the standard show you would like so you don't have to type in new tricks every time. From this screen, you can also print out a show plan so that you can easily see the order and tricks you have chosen.

My favorite screen is the Documents screen (I can't rember the real name). This screen is invaluable in that it includes a multitude of records including detailed income summaries, and customer breakdowns. For example, on this screen, you can see a detailed breakdown of all shows and revenues earned over a certain period of time. You can also view all shows and revenue from a particular customer. This screen also includes all information that you may want to send to a customer including contracts, thank you letters, referral forms, etc. You can choose these individually or there is a button that will allow you to print out all the documents necessary for a customer.

There is no way I can describe all the features available with MagicBase. I highly recommend that you check out the advertisement and demos at Bob Millers website for more detail.

As I said, there are a few things I would like to see changed the biggest of which is that the screens don't show up as full screen. Rather, they appear as about 3/4 screen and if you hit the maximize button the empty space is filled in as white space. Bob explained why this is so but I'm not smart enough to understand it. This is not a big problem, but being a lawyer, my eyes need to see big things so hopefully this can be changed in later versions.

I also think the software should be updated to allow for more information regarding shows obtained through Agents. This can be done with the current version but I'd like to see a spot on the main customer page where agent fees are considered and factored in.

Bob has indicated that updates will be made over time so improvements are likely. My concerns are not major and do not take away from the effectiveness and usefulness of this product.

Even if you are not into marketing, this software is great for record keeping, especially come tax time.

You can dowload the software from Bob's site for $90 or buy a cd-rom version for $95 which is what I did. These are introductory prices that will end in early February so be sure to take advantage of them now. Bob also offers free shipping during this period.

This software is fun to play with and very useful. I highly recommend it.
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
107 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
To anyone searching for information on MagicBase: We now have a new and better software since this review was published. MagicBase Pro Integrated Marketing Software was released a few years ago. You may download a free fully-functioning demo at http://www.magicbasepro.com. Try it for 2 months. If you like it, you may purchase an unlock code and keep using it. Keep all your customer records in one place forever!
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz