The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deck the Halls :: High end Porper clips (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've always preached the gospel of the Porper clip, never the cheaper ripoffs. Dan and Dave have added new varieties wrapped in leather etc. I notice though that the spine is straight unlike the original ones. I thought this was what made the Porper design superior to the other designs. Thoughts?
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
Looks like all the new Classic Porper clips from Dan and Dave are made that way now, even the simple anodized ones.
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
Praise be, brother. The one true clip.
Gill
View Profile
New user
leaning on
48 Posts

Profile of Gill
I have one metal clip from Porper, and a similar clip from Dan and Dave.

The Porper clip as the 'arched' back design while the other clip has a straight back. To me it seems that the D&D clip is a bit wider than the Porper. This way it is easier to accommodate thicker cards such as the Tallys and all those collectible decks with a lot of ink.
I don't know I'd the clips are supposed to be different or if these differences occur only on my clips.

Either way, I find these clips very useful when travelling, although airport security keep stopping me when the see these metal bricks on the xray scanner.
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
We (Joe Porper and I) make both types, the FlatSpine and SaddleSpine, and both are superior to the copies because of the alloy we use and the precision work that goes into making them. The "D&D clip" was also made by Joe, but in that case, they may have asked for a different size to go with a particular deck of cards.
When we make them, they're made to go with a standard deck of 52+2 jokers and a box. Sometimes people make cards thicker or thinner, and they ask us to accommodate them -- the only difference is where we bend it. Smile
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
_r_y_a_n
View Profile
New user
London
1 Post

Profile of _r_y_a_n
Hey Scott,
Thanks for the great information! You are definitely the right person to ask about the design if the clips.
My question is this:
What are the relative uses or advantages of the FlatSpine vs. the SaddleSpine (or vice-versa Smile )?
Thanks!
~R