The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Kabuki Streamers (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Thoughts on ending a show with a Kabuki Streamer merely for eye candy.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Is this a question ?

Oliver.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Yes, a question. Wondering if there needs to be justification to end a stand-up set with Kabuki Streamers for no other reason than it being eye candy.
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
I would think there would need to be some sort of justification. It could be as an end for a mouth coil, snow storm, or other tissue paper effect. Just coming out for a bow and tossing out a Kabuki streamer for no reason doesn't seem to make much sense. At minimum you'd need to set it up somehow, even in a previous effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It really depends on the persons view of what is magic. Kabuki Streamers is a Japanese trick that has been used a very long time. Much of the classic presentations I have seen of what Japanese believe is magic, is really different then the what we in the America consider what is magic.

Both Vito Lupo and Jeff McBride use Kabuki Streamers in their acts and for other appearances and publicity photos.

Kabuki Streamers do look good and would the perfect device to use for a massive production finale of some kind of object. Streamers are a production like any thing in a magician can produce magically. Just like canes, candles, cards, coins, cigarettes, thimbles, silks, swords, and silk streamers. Kabuki Streamers are just another prop to produce.

At $20.00 a throw, it is a decision everyone has to make for themselves. David Cresey Products has paper throw steamers that are just as exciting and much cheaper.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2014, StevieDee wrote:
I would think there would need to be some sort of justification. It could be as an end for a mouth coil, snow storm, or other tissue paper effect. Just coming out for a bow and tossing out a Kabuki streamer for no reason doesn't seem to make much sense. At minimum you'd need to set it up somehow, even in a previous effect.

Yes!

I use a lot of eye candy bits when working a hospitality suite or cocktail party.

When "they" are standing, with a drink in one hand, and an hors d'oeuvre in the other, it's a trifle difficult to have them "take a card"! -- or hold a prop. In that case I involve them with conversation.

In a "formal" act/show, WHY would you want to use a K streamer? --Because you own one??? Not a good reason, theatrically.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I have used Kabuki throw streamers in my act for about 10 years now.

for a while it was the kicker to my snow storm illusion
then it was a kicker to my sub trunk - both my assistant and I would throw a large one.

then I used them in my tear apart bag as part of my opening routine (i lecture about this idea and other ways to use them)
as the grand finale of my opening routine vanishing my dove.

always incorporated with in a routine or having a direct affect on "adding" to the routine or trick.

now that being said I know a few that just throw one for eye candy as you say. I think it falls flat most of the time.
however I think if you were to end the show with what ever routine you have and take a bow and then launch one it could be a dramatic moment and a signal that the show is now over..

you also need to decide if you will let it fly and float down or retract it.

if you retract it you could even use it to produce a dove, or a flag staff with a silk that says "that's all folks"
now that would be a clear ending and a reason to use it.

as for the Kabuki throws themselves you will not find a better version then SEO Magic. it is pretty well known around here that I love there paper products. there snow loads are better then anything in the world. their Kabuki throws are the best.
Jeff McBride only uses them as well!

the cheap ones are just that - cheap. trust me I have thrown every kind out there from all over the world and yet to find any thing that compares.
that being said the cressy streamers are great but not really for throwing. they are awesome to put in my tear apart bag or throw magic wand.
but to throw them from the hand they don't have the same impact as SEO Magic. just not on the same level.

hope this info helped and if you have other questions feel free to ask.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Thank you Sam, pm sent.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Woo Hoo, Just received my Kabuki Streamers from Seo Magic. Great company to deal with, received my Streamers within a couple of days of placing my order. Now all I have to do is learn how to throw them.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I've used them during a curtain call in this way, no magic effect, just eye candy.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2014, nonvpro wrote:
Woo Hoo, Just received my Kabuki Streamers from Seo Magic. Great company to deal with, received my Streamers within a couple of days of placing my order. Now all I have to do is learn how to throw them.

The secret to throwing streamers is to stop at the high point. If the hand is jerked back, it will kill the forward motion of the streamer to continue the momentum. Don't make any backward motion of the shoulder, arm, hand, or fingers as it will kill the forward momentum of the throw. Stop at the high point of the arc. Underhanded throw is best.

Once again, stop, and freeze the hand completely and abruptly without any backward motion at all. Just stay in the frozen position until the ribbons are completely unrolled and land. If you are going to gather the ribbons back, then do so just before they and on the floor. This will keep them in the air as you quickly ball them back. Us the opposite hand to create a tube the ribbons are pulled through. So the opposite hand will grab around all the ribbons, and the and that the bundle was attached to, will pull back causing the ribbons to be pulled through the opposite hand that should be in a tube type of hold. Then the attached hand comes up to the tube hand and grabs just below the hand more ribbons and draw them back. This is repeated until all the ribbons are in the same hand that threw them.

I find is best to break the bundle with the thumb and fingers spreading the covering paper to open. The thumb is used as a kick off of the bundle at the high point. It should be all one fluid motion, swing, freeze and kick off the and just as the body comes to a freeze. Hope that is clear.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I have found the streamers best use is as a opener to fast modern Music, I use a snowstorm to close my Corporate stage shows.

2 large white pieces paper in each hand, put them together, tear them in half, put them in 1 hand roll them together, throw the streamer, plays so strong and audience have seen something within 10 secs of being on stage, always gets a great reaction