The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Simply....Nerves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
Hello my friends. I have been living and breathing pickpocketing for the last couple months in preparation for my first goal in the field. I have every DVD and book I could get my hands on (Freedman, Coats, Brasil, Dunn, Ravels, Raffle, Le Seuer, Joseph, and maybe a few more). I have practiced on my inflatable mannequin, broom stick (for watches), and a partner. I am now less than a month from my goal which is to perform my pickpocket act at an open mic night (like I said, "first goal"), but I find myself being held back by nerves from practicing on live strangers on the street. I think some of the source being the idea of doing something you are told since child hood not to do, but it feels like if I can just break through this barrier I will be able to snowball down this incredible path.

I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this and is so how you made it past.

I sincerely appreciate it.
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
Still nerves, but the *** is broken and several watches have been stolen and returned. The start of more to come.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Unfortunately there is no real way to practise, you just have to go for it. Sure you will get caught a few times, you just need an out for these occasions. You will get caught less and less as you work in the real world situations, dummy's and family are not really the best option for practising.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Boogiemario
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Boogiemario
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=189

Maybe this could help a tiny bit.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Getting caught stealing from strangers seems...dangerous at best.

WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
Thank you everyone. It is definitely going better. The more I pair the steals with performing a few tricks before the more I a becoming comfortable looking at it as just another trick rather than...well theft.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
I agree with george1953. You WILL get caught eventually...probably often in the beginning. It's all about having an out when you do. Gregory Wilson has a great out he explains on his On the Spot video. In his example, when he gets caught trying to steal a watch, he simply owns up to it in a joking manner. On the downbeat he says he's going to move on to something else, and since the chase is over, he just steals the watch anyway as everyone laughs it off. You can use this for any pick (or put). Once the tension is released, move in for the kill!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield