The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Table in a briefcase for under $40! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Most tables are too heavy to lug around for close-up and street magic so I bought a Walmart briefcase for around $20. After cleaning out my closet I found a monopod, a one-legged tripod for photography. It's one of those items I purchased but never used. I took the bottom section of the telescoping monopod apart, removing the threaded ring and the bottom length of hollow tubing. I then cut a one inch by three inch piece of pine, drilled a one-inch diameter hole in the centre. I then glued this drilled board to the centre of the briefcase running lengthwise. I added two screws from each end to give it more support. Next with a mallet I gently tapped the threaded metal ring into the 1one-inch hole.

For the table top I used an extra shelf from my Lefler suitcase table and to the bottom of it I attached a flange from an old flash unit from my outdated Pentax camera. You'd be surprised what you can find in your closet or a thrift shop. I glued grey speaker material to the shelf (table top) and stapled it on the back. The shelf fits a Walmart briefcase perfectly. To set it up you adjust the monopod to the desired height, screw on the table top and add a small drape or cloth. I then attached a laminated poster of myself using velcro to the outside of the briefcase.

It's light, sets up in less than a minute, has adjustable heights and is very attractive looking. There is even enough space to store several smaller props. The only thing it needs is some felt or plastic feet so that the bottom of the briefcase doesn't get scratched or worn. I made the whole table in less than one hour for under $40. It will be on my new self-made DVD called Table Talk. It will be first advertised in Northern Peaks magazine, the official magazine of the Canadian Association of Magicians. It will sell for $20 Canadian and will include plans for 12 of the tables on the DVD in booklet form.

Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I guess I missed something.

The last time I used a monopod I had to hold it to keep it standing. How does this thing stand up?
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Tomino
View Profile
New user
Sweden
9 Posts

Profile of Tomino
I bought a record case for DJs (approximately $30) and an amplifier tripod (the ones you can buy in a regular stereo shop). The second tripod (yes, they come in pairs for left/right) is used for a regular table.

I like the professional look of it. Comments, anyone?

Click here to view attached image.