The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Books!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I just bought
:bluebikes:
The Royal Road to Card magic
Expert Card Technique:close-up table magic
Card Manipulation
Magic Cyclopedia: A Complete Course
:bluebikes:
And I was wondering was this a smart move our is there any books that are better in the area of cards? And if not heres a little friend Ill like for a while Smile

Wikiro Smile
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
CardTrix
View Profile
New user
Springfield, IL
52 Posts

Profile of CardTrix
Wikiro...all those books are great for beginners, fairly inexpensive also. If you are new to card magic your on the right track.

But if you can afford it, I also reccommend the Card College series, great resources at your disposal.

For something more advanced, try Expert At The Card Table by S.W. Erdnase...It will keep you busy for a while.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
"was this a smart move"

Well it certainly wasn't a bad one. These are classic books, and whilst there are some that may be an easier read, you have got a wealth of information at a bargain price.

Paul.
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Hi,

The Royal Road to Card magic
Expert Card Technique
are really very good books in my opinion.
if you are new in card magic and want to do your first steps, the royal road is really the best. but after a while, you have to by the card college of giobbi. it's "the bible" Smile)
When you are looking for more good tricks, look at annemans card miracles vom dover Smile
wothfull matieral

Hannes
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Card Manipulations is a little hard to understand I dont get the book change. Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Whilst I certainly believe that classic books are called "classic" for a reason, you could do a lot worse than buy card collage, as already mentioned.

If you can work your way through the older books (which can be a little baffling) then stick with them, they are great resourses!

Smile
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
All of these books are great, but ANY aspiring magician should learn one difficult gimmick-free coin routine. The lessons in misdirection, time and audience management which coin magic (of the, say, David Roth or Gary Kurtz variety)imparts are priceless. Holding out, for instance, becomes much easier because coin magic teaches how to direct the spectators' attention unerringly.

Get Kaufman's Coin Magic.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Hi,

i think you are right in what you can learn from a gimmik free coin routine, but in my opinion, i think richard kaufmanns coinmagic is a bit difficult for beginners. i get the book as one of my first magic books, an i didn't understand much. after a while i bought bobos coin magic where i found all the basic slights. i think for a beginner, bobos coinmagic is better, because there are the basics.... Smile

Hannes
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
To springboard off of what Paul posted earlier:

Here's a BAD move: buying a book and then not taking the time to read it.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Huw Collingbourne
View Profile
Loyal user
Devon, UK
201 Posts

Profile of Huw Collingbourne
One problem I find (as a newcomer to magic) is that, while the explanations in the Royal Road and the Cyclopaedia are very clear, it's diffiult to know when you are really approaching a decent level of proficiency. Without a skilled card magician ready to hand to tell you simple things such as (for example), "yes, your riffle shuffle's fine but, your overhand shuffle is far too slow," or whatever, it's difficult to know if you are really anywhere close to achieving the skills described.

The books may show you the moves, but they don't convey more abstract qualities such as the timing, the smoothness, the overall presentation.

Are there any books that can help out with the problems I've mentioned?

best wishes
Huw
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
In that respect, "use the old magicians friend: the mirror"

That's the patronising advice I was always given, but I could never look at the mirror without instictively reversing my hand gestures and messing up. In short, no book or mirror can tell you if your riffle shuffle is fine or if your overhand shuffle needs work, only a spectator (who does not have to be a magician) will tell you if what they see is good.

Good luck

Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
"your overhand shuffle is far too slow,"
Speed of an overhand shuffle is unimportant.

Watch non magicians shuffling cards, there are a few variations, speed differs. At the end of the day as long as it LOOKS like you are mixing the cards and you don't drop them on the floor it is good enough.

There are books on presentation and showmanship (Alex Elmsley has interesting comments on this type of book in The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley). You would probably find Ortiz's Strong Magic very useful.

A mirror can still be useful (showing if obvious finger breaks can be seen etc.), but when you think the mechanics are invisible then you need to start showing real people.

It's like driving. You really start to learn AFTER you have passed your test. With magic, once you think you know what you are doing, you start to really learn when you start entertaining real people.

Paul.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
But what about those people that are like " thats great now leave me alone"
Just because they cant figure it out? Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Alexander
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Alexander
With great respect, if people want you to "leave them alone" there may something lacking in your performance skills.

When I say "you" I mean you as in "you all" not you personally.

The ultimate aim is for people to BEG you to show them magic. If they are consistently asking you to leave them alone there is something wrong somewhere.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
What is a good trick that can make someone want more just by getting a little glimpse of the trick (like out the corner of their eye). Smile

Wikiro Smile

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile