The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Card Studio :: Kickstarter projects being late (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I am not sure on your experience supporting card decks at Kickstarter, but currently I am participating in 3 projects, Kadar, Bicycle Steel and One Million bicycle and the three of them are very late, the main reason looks like is USPCC not keeping with the demand, but the communication from the projects is limited, apart and not clear, so not sure who is really the culprit party here.

One previous project I supported Oracle deck, went perfectly, excellent communication and the end product superb.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
USPCC has its highs and lows like any other factory. Sometimes they come in ahead of schedule, sometimes right on time, and sometimes late.

When they get into a slump of tons of orders and lots of late deliveries, it's hard to dig out of the hole.

It's definitely up to the people running each KS campaign to communicate to their backers and let them know what's going on. But all KS campaign delivery dates are always "estimated" and a good part of the time it's out of the creator's hands as to exactly when they receive their inventory and start shipping out to backers.

Whenever I back a KS project, I try to just forget about it after it's successful so that when the cards do arrive at my door, it's a pleasant surprise.
Kevin Reylek
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Anyone had an update lately ? Its my first time supporting a kick starter project, and probably the last if this is what happens all the time.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Out of the 3 projects that were late, I got one, the other 2 (kadar and Steel) they just published an update that the cards are coming shortly.
This is months after the project was funded and months after the project was supposed to be delivered. (Kadar 5 months, Steel 2 months)
Both claimed that the culprit is USPCC, like I should care. As different to Kevin's above post and the creators of these 2 decks, I did not buy a pretty design from them, a printing job from USPCC and a delivery service from USPS. I bought a deck of cards delivered to my home in time and as specified it. How the design is done, how it is the deck printed and how it is delivered should not be my concern.
In the case of Kadar they collected funds for 20% more (in English pounds, and I am sure they contracted the printing job in US dollars) that they asked for, and on Steel they collected almost 3 times more that what they asked for. Could they pay a premium to USPCC to have their cards prioritize? Would they negotiated a price reduction with USPS for the delay that could pass to the consumers? Would they reduce the price for the waiting customers, and make less money, because of the delay? Actually not, so far I put my money, the creators got theirs, USPCC got theirs and I got a very delayed product, and I should be happy because one day I will get it.
Clearly I am not cut for this way of doing business, these were the 2 last decks I will buy financing myself these companies, great products, lousy service and accountability.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
As a producer, and having my own deck become late, I can talk from experience. (Malam Playing Cards)

There are a lot of things that arent told to those printing decks..I had to learn from experience that if you try to print from Sept to Oct, its VERY difficult because the big companies are printing for Christmas. SO you get pushed aside because we are smaller and our numbers arent as big. On top of that, people get upset when you don't post updates, thought they also get upset if you post none sense updates. A lot of times companies that print don't have a clue as to when you will get your cards..Print order, factory speed, and shipping all account for this..So, when you don't get a direct answer, there really is no info that can be passed to the backers, but they want something..and saying IDK, isn't a good idea either.

I just did my second deck, and now know a few things I can do to save weeks if not months before launching. Also, at times backers vote for changes to the cards, which means the proofing process gets delayed longer. It really isn't a science.

I think Kevin is right, its best to take note, and be patient. The cards will come and will usually be worth it Smile

-Six