The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: From Soup to Nuts :: The Magic Depot... How to make customers disappear? (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
TomatoCain
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of TomatoCain
Yes, down-vote for sure. Aaron and Jenne took me for about $100. I emailed them for about three months and would have taken credit, but NOthing doing. They kept on texting me back that they actually had the item, but it was in 'Deep Stock'. That was a year ago. I am more than surprised that they are still in business. I remember Vic Lawson, too. He sold poorly edited instructions on poorly reproduced copies. The only item of professional production was the catalog.
simo68
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of simo68
Unfortunately, this dishonest person has not lost the habit of keeping the money and not sending the items, last year I placed an order after a month I received nothing, Aaron's wife told me that the package had been sent , when I asked for the tracking number, he invented various reasons for not telling me, then she told me that the package had come back ... and bla bla bla, I had a lot of patience but in the end I got bored .....
I made the Paypal dispute (fortunately I had used this payment method), providing Paypal with the link to this discussion and others on the net, which showed Aaron's lack of honesty.
I was reimbursed the next day. Aaron sent me a message saying that to show his seriousness he sent me my items without wanting to be paid, (of course they never arrived).
I am now 50 years old, I am no longer active in Magic, I was very active as a young man, and even though I am a modest amateur, for me Magic is one of the most important things in my life, it is almost religious and not I never tolerated dishonest people in magic.
simo68
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of simo68
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2019, TeddyBoy wrote:
I am sorry for those experiences that have been recounted in this thread as I am sure they were very painful and frustrating. Here is my Magic Depot story.

Yes, it is a tactic of dishonest people, they hope that customers get tired of sending mail, but when the seller is threatened with legal procedures or not ... Oh !!! Just today I sent it to you !!!
How strange ...
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Six years later it seems nothing has changed at Aaron Smith's Magic Depot. Buyer Beware.

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Chris wrote:
The problem with some magic retailers is that they leave discontinued items on their website. The reason they do this is for search baiting customers. These old discontinued product pages are indexed by Google and other search engines. They bring traffic and thus customers to the website. These retailers hope that these customers who come to these discontinued products will buy something instead.

That is why no refund is given on such discontinued items. A customer orders it in hope to get it, but instead he gets a store credit and thus is forced to buy something else. This is how search baiting works. I hate it and as we can see on the posts above others hate it, too. Patrice, you are right speaking out about this. It should stop.

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, AaronSmith wrote:
We add "DISCONTINUED" to the product title so that it appears in all caps on search engines.

- Aaron Smith

Not true. That's BS , Aaron Smith , and you know it. Chris Wasshuber nailed you on this six years ago. You practice search baiting. "A customer orders it in hope to get it, but instead he gets a store credit and thus is forced to buy something else. This is how search baiting works."

To bring up a previous example: You took my money for an item (Diamond Cut Mirror Goblet) I ordered from your website in 2018, which at that time had already been discontinued and was unavailable , yet you had it listed on your website with no note about it being a "DISCONTINUED" item. After many emails back and forth with Magic Depot where I was told the item would soon be back in stock and shipped to me, after time passed it became apparent that the item was permanently discontinued and you would never have it back in stock. You offered me a store credit , but I didn't want the credit. I wanted the item advertised or else a full refund .

It's not the specific item I had ordered in my case that is important , it's the principle of the thing. I note that at the present time, April 26, 2020 , you still have that very same item --- Diamond Cut Mirror Goblet --- listed on your website as if it is available for purchase. As I write this on April 26,2020 there is nothing on your website to indicate that it is a discontinued item. (see the screen shot below) . You should either take down the listing or clearly mark it as Discontinued and Unavailable. But you haven't done that , so it seems you are still practicing the search baiting scam.

http://www.themagicdepot.com/product_inf......_id=6793

Also, if someone searches for Diamond Cut Mirror Goblet , Magic Depot is the first search result that comes up and there is nothing in the search result that says the item is DISCONTINUED. So when you previously wrote:

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, AaronSmith wrote:
We add "DISCONTINUED" to the product title so that it appears in all caps on search engines.

- Aaron Smith

that was untrue in 2014 and it's still untrue now in 2020.

I hate to think of how many of the other items listed on your website are like this ... listed as if they are available to purchase , but you know full well they are not available and then you offer a store credit instead of a full refund, so the customer is forced to buy something else from you that they did not want. It's difficult to know how widespread this scam is on your website (I will certainly never purchase anything from you again , so I won't have any way to find out). People should be aware of your shady business practices before they order from the Magic Depot.

Click here to view attached image.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
By contrast with Mr. Aaron Smith's Magic Depot , another dealer, Steven's Magic Emporium ,clearly lists this item as Out of Stock , in both the search engine results and on their website. That's how it ought to be done.

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/diamond-cut-mirror-goblet/

Click here to view attached image.
simo68
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of simo68
Hi David , just one question: did you use paypal or just your credit card?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2020, simo68 wrote:
Hi David , just one question: did you use paypal or just your credit card?

Unfortunately for me I used my credit card. If I had known better I would have used PayPal so I could have easily resolved the issue and been refunded my money from these swindlers at Mr. Aaron Smith's Magic Depot.

This is why I prefer a brick and mortar shoppe , where I can see and handle the prop before I buy it and walk out the door. And even there I once had a dealer sell me a John Kennedy item which was demo'd for me in the shop , then they wrapped it up in brown paper and a bag for me ... something didn't feel right to me , so I opened up the package before I left the shop and found out that what they had wrapped up for me was not an authentic John Kennedy product , but a knock-off ... the dealer tried some double-talk: "oh, it's the same thing , it's just as good" , but could see pretty quickly he didn't have a sucker on the line (I think I mentioned calling the cops) and he refunded my money. Never went back there again.