The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Steam bending wood (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
I have some projects that require bending wood (3/4"red oak) I built a steam box and purchased a steam generator followed the instructions completely But, I had no success. I have since read an article that states that it virtually impossible to bend kiln dried lumber because the lignin is already set fast and will allow the wood to flex. Has any one else had in experience with steam bending wood? Thanks in advance for your imput.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7674 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have bent red oak into barrel staves. I will have to find the formula but it so much time per thickness of wood. I was not bending 3/4 wood though. It was 1/4" and not a heavy bend. I simply heated on a burner with a tube and lid over a pot of boiling water. I have heard of guy's using stove pipes or ductwork also.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
Try soaking the wood well before the steam process. red oak is very porous and should bend nicely(with clamps and a form) after an hour per inch thickness steaming. the steam needs to pass over the wood so a small vent at the top of your tube keeps the steam moving and lets you know when it's hot enough (212f/100c) to start timing.
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Have you given any thought to using 1/4" thickness and laminating them together round the former/mould?
It'll make matters much easier and give the exact same outcome.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
White Oak steam bends far more easily than Red Oak, so your choice of species may have something to do with your failure. These guys have had some experience with bending wood, so start here:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/ah125.pdf
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Thanks magicwatcher2005 This a great article
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
OK I did bent some 1/4" stuff this evening but some type of purple resin or something came to the surface of the wood. Any one got any ideas what this could be?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sap
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The other way to curve wood is to make cuts to within 1/16th of an inch from the outer edge. Using the saw kerf of the blade for spacing. The spacing or distance between the cuts has to do with the size of the curve you are trying to make and the Kerf of the blade. Bend and clamp then glue, you may fill the openings with wood filler if desired. I have a book that shows the process and how to calculate for a curve. I am sure there should be something on the internet. This type of process is more work but accomplishes the same thing as steaming. But you can bend the full thickness of your board at once.