The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Decent Hot Rod (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
Amazing Jumping Arrow by Mark Young 100 % the best out there
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, SKILL wrote:
Amazing Jumping Arrow by Mark Young 100 % the best out there

Couldn't agree more! I carry it in my wallet. BUT! Beware! There are Chinese fakes made of plastic out there. Be sure and buy from the creator:

https://www.mymagic.com/young.htm

Doug
Professor Marvel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Professor Marvel
Based on advice from this thread, I bought Rubik's Rod and I'm happy to report that it is fantastic. It is repeatable and, as the original poster said, everyone knows what it is. It is well made and looks like it could have been made by Mr. Rubik himself. A great product.
Steven_Parlette
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Steven_Parlette
Just watched the Amazing Jumping Arrow video.
I'm adding this to my want list.
Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
You want a really nice hot rod?
You can make a beautiful one using the following items ...

6mm Swarovski crystal chaton stones
A Dremel MiniMite rotary tool
A 6mm stone setting burr
1/4" x 3/8" basswood strips

Here are some tips ...

Be sure to use the 6mm chanton stones and not the more often used flatback crystals. The flatbacks are easier to set, which is the only reason I can think of for using them. They are like an inverted stone, so the point side will be upwards. The chantons will both look better and feel better in your hand. At least I think so.

I also think that the 6mm size is more aesthetically pleasing than either the 5mm stones used in older models, such as the Jack Miller regular size rod (one of the best ever), or the 7mm stones used in most of todays duluxe models, such as the Rich Hill or the Rings-n-Things rods.

The proper size wood strips can be purchased online in oak, pine, birch or basswood. I would suggest basswood. It has the smoothest grain and is easy to work with. It can be found at places like Dick Blick's or Hobby Lobby. If you wanted to finish your hot rod with a stain instead of paint, then the oak would be preferable. However as Henry Ford felt about the Model T, I also feel about the hot rod. The only color should be black.

You should apply a sandable primer to the wood and use a fine grit sandpaper and a piece of cloth to get a smooth surface before painting.

Actually, before priming and painting you need to map out where you want to drill the holes. Carefully measure and place a pencil dot where you want each of the stones. Be aware that the position of the stones on one side of the rod are slightly offset in relation to the position of the stones on the other side. This is so you don't drill the holes on one side into the holes on the other and so that each stone will occupy it's own space.

With the drill, make an indentation at each pencil dot.
Now proceed with the priming and painting.

You will conclude by drilling out the holes for the stones. The 6mm setting burr and a little patience will make for a perfect fit. Drill a little bit at a time, being careful to keep the drill centralized. Once the holes are a perfect fit, glue the stones in place with a small amount of gorilla epoxy.
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
154 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
Does anyone happen to know what the Sterling Magic Varillium Hot Rod sold for (or approximately) while they were still available? Thanks...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I've had gems fall out of different ones. Just have a tube of super glue handy if one falls out and you know about it.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA