The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Help w/ Aging Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Howdy

I'm trying to age 9 cards from an old Emerson and West effect - The Gypsy Curse. I used sepia ink with good results, but I was thinking about giving them a coat of varnish to look more authentic. I've never done this before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Sam,

You'll need to be really careful doing this, as it is likely to warp the cards, making the moves more difficult. I know these were printed on a stock a little different than say Bicycle cards, but you might experiment with other cards to see what happens.

FWIW - I have used orange shellac (brush on) on paperboard boxes to give them a vintage look. It works great for looks, but does cause the paper to warp.

I have also used spray clear coat on cards. Several light coats can be built up to avoid the warpage thing.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Thanks Michael

I was afraid of warping, thanks for the advice. Would a spray-on urethane work like clear coat?

Thanks
Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've never used it myself. All I can advise is to experiment on cards that you can afford to lose if it fails.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
Cotton ball and shoe polish. let it sit for a while then gently wipe it off. I have never tried it but I assume it would work. not sure how easily it will come off though on the finish
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1084 Posts

Profile of BCS
Sam... I am a little late to the post; try scuffing the card with some very fine sandpaper lightly and then try the shoe polish.

Good luck,
Bruce